Chapter 50:

Bai had been spending more and more time stalking the Governor General. As time dwindled by he had found out that he wasn't the only one who had such a job. He spotted other Mercs and assassin's hiding in the trees and underbrush. Most of the time they didn't connect gazes. But sometimes on the off chance they did nothing would happen. A simple signal of surrender would come from one another and they would go on with their business of stalking the Governor general for either information or a kill. Bai had been sleeping against the tree he was posted in for the last few days when another person jumped into his tree. He looked at the smaller and more guarded assassin. He let out a huff

-" This is my tree. Go scurry off."

The assassin stayed in place and took out a hidden knife. The assassin went for the kill with godlike speed. But to Bai, it was as if the assassin was walking. He let out another huff of annoyance as he stabbed the mini assassin with his ice. The ice exploded into shards falling out of the tree. Looking at it from a peasants perspective, the person just saw a tree shake violently and then ice and snowfall from it. Even in a world of magic, that was not normal. This action alerted the guards of the governor general. Bai jumped out of his tree and quickly disappeared into the underbrush and other forests. The Governor General then took this to be able to remove any and all vegetation that worked as a hiding place. The other assassin's and Mercs glared openly at the two idiots who ruined everything. The mini assassin rubbed their hands together as more glares came. The mini assassin stalked and followed Bai around. Bai did not have the time or the patience to deal with the mini assassin, so he quickly sped off back to the Velvet Piano. 

Back home, Bai went to the training area where he started speaking with the others. 

-"Brother Bai, what is the matter?"

-"A mini assassin came into my hiding spot when I told him to leave he attacked me instead."

-"Are you sure it's a 'he'? That sounds more like something a woman would do. It's so petty."

-"Would you shut up. Not all women are like that."

-"Oh, you sister Lana are not petty? When did pigs start flying?"

-"Why---you---"

-"Enough.  Both of you. Regardless of whether that assassin was male or female does not matter. What matters is that it will be harder to be able to get inside and learn more of the Governor General. Not that there was much to go off anyways..."

The two mercs arguing with each other let out a breath out of pity for their Brother. As trying to kill the Governor General was liking trying to touch the sky. As all of them were wallowing in their gloom they heard

-"NEW BODIES!"

They all stared at each other. A new body meant that there was a new batch of recruits. All three of them sighed deeply. No one liked being the person to take care of the fresh batch, so normally they would draw lots after seeing the group. Bai and the senior mercs put on their killing faces. They were meant to scare the new recruits so that the weaker ones would drop out. As they entered the blood-soaked facility where the recruits stood tall. Everyone entered solemnly. The killing intent fresh off the bodies of the seniors. Bai and the others began playing with the recruits, making a few nicks in the skin, pushing them, playing mind games. They even brought in a target and gutted him in front of the recruits. Some immediately hurled, others fainted, some ran away with tears in their eyes. All to weed away at the weak. When that was finished, they turned into more modest people. The killing intent vanished as the seniors lounged around. The recruits were mind blown at how such deadly people could be so, so.LAZY. One of the recruits spoke his mind.

-"What is going on?"

Bai and the others looked at each other and burst out laughing. The new bodies looked onward at them curiously. Bai wiped away a silent tear.

-"You see pipsqueak, a lot of people who join recruitment are cowards. They do it to prove themselves. Yall have heard of what a murderous and terrifying bunch we are. That's only because recruits like yourself have seen us like so. That little act you all saw was merely a way to weed out the weak. Because the weak cannot be strong in this world."

The boy sealed his lips before anger spilt out. But a girl amongst the group let it all out.

-"You cowards! How can you not train the weak to become strong!?"

Bai looked at her with a dark expression. The girl was a pretty thing. Could have been a wife for it not for her low standing and black and white hair which was covered.

-"Girl.-"

-"Ming."

-"Fine. Ming-girl. What have you seen in your short lifespan? Rape? Murder? Torture?"

Ming bristled at the words, she was aware of the darkness of the world, but she had a tight hold on hope, that hope would save her and make the world kind to her. Bai continued on.

-" All these terrible things make one mentally strong but emotionally weak. You see, you can't teach someone to be strong if they cannot stomach the terrors of this world."

-"But what of courage? Loyalty? Bravery?"

The room roared with laughter. Many of the mercs couldn't hold back, they rolled on the ground and held their stomachs from the laughter. Bai snapped his fingers and the room quieted down. Bai had a smirk on his face.

-"Courage? Ming-girl you are funny. So innocent, so pure. It's an invitation to ruin such a pure heart. Your loyalty lies in you. In this world, you trust no one. In this world, the brave are fools. In this world, courage will get you lying half dead in a ditch. So tell me Ming-girl. Will you give up those foolish things in this world?"

-"No."

Bai's smile dropped. He curled one of the fine white hairs against his fingers.

-"Then you are not meant for this world. Leave."  

When the girl would not leave Bai bellowed

-"LEAVE!"

The girl did not move. Bai calmed his anger and ice encased the girl. The others beside her shivered at the cold. The girl was thrown out, the ice shattered, leaving a half dead girl in a ditch.