Part 18. The Vampire's Maid

"Stupid, disgusting blood-sucking vampires." June kept up her string of insults until we reached the entrance hall.

Once again we were dressed in the pretentious black dresses and I was about to attend my second ever vampire feast. A knot of nervousness was twisting in my stomach at the thought of what had happened at the previous one.

"I wonder if..." June trailed off.

I followed her eyes and my heart seemed to freeze in my chest. A stream of vampires was pouring through the main doors and into the entrance hall. Standing amongst them, not taking his pale eyes from me was Isaac. The other vampires were streaming around him, not taking any notice to the solitary and stationary figure. I felt June shiver beside me.

Just as I thought Isaac would never look away, his eyes widened and hastily he followed the others into the dining hall. The look on his face was one of caution and fear.

"I think you frightened him away," June joked weakly.

I wanted to smile at her but I was confused and energy was only just beginning to trickle back into my veins.

As June hurried down the stairs, a warm, firm hand pressed into the small of my back. I jumped slightly, my mind churning up images of Isaac. When I swivelled my head, however, it was a pair of deep green eyes that met my own. With Ashley's appearance, Isaac's swift disappearance suddenly made sense. I opened my mouth to utter words that hadn't even entered my head but Ashley's hand pressed harder into my back, pushing me forward slightly. Understanding that I should join June in the dining room, I fled down the stairs without thanking him.

Luckily, my late entrance went unnoticed by everyone but Callum who was desperately trying to fasten his tie. Dane was hunched in a corner of the room, brushing some sort of powdery mud from his suit.

Over the sound of the chattering vampires came a recognised and powerful voice.

"Ashley, my son!" Goliath announced jovially from the head of the table. "You have decided to join us for the feast!"

"Not quite."

I spun my head so quickly at the sound of his voice that a sharp pain shot down my neck. Ashley was indeed in the room but he showed no desire to join the feast. Without smiling, he crossed the room with all eyes following him. The vampires were silent now. When he was beside his father, Ashley leaned down and whispered something in his ear. After a second, Goliath nodded and made a jerk of his head. Straightening up, a ghost of a smile crossed Ashley's face.

"Who would like wine?" Goliath averted, his voice magnified in the quiet.

At once, as though a spell had been broken, the guests broke once again into conversation once again. I watched as Ashley strolled away from his father, past June and Joe and then, without breaking step, grabbed my elbow and steered me from the room. I opened my mouth but was too shocked to muster any words. The eyes of the humans followed us but the vampires, observing the niceties and the fact that Goliath wished for them to ignore us, continued to talk.

The dining room's door banged shut behind us and at once the sounds of the feast were dimmed and muffled by the thick mahogany wood. Ashley's grip loosened slightly on my arm but he was still guiding me along. His hand on my bare arm shot a feeling of warmth and protection through my body.

"What are you doing?" I finally managed to ask.

Ashley paused, pulling me into the dark, shadowy entrance hall. Just one candle flickered peacefully beside us on the wall, illuminating the ghostly portraits that lined the walls. Before he looked at me, Ashley's eyes flitted to the blank space on the wall where I assumed the portrait of Elizabeth Sancruor had once stood.

"I asked my father if he would allow me to take you for the evening. He wants me to trust him...perhaps to compensate for my mother's death. He thinks the ideal way is to give me anything I want."

He frowned as he spoke as though he was unimpressed at his father's bonding attempts.

"But why did you pull me out of the feast?" I roused him.

"Didn't you see the way Isaac looked at you? I'm not going to let you anywhere near him!"

"What do you mean? What was the point in having these self defence lessons if you're going to take me away from any danger?"

My narrowed eyes were rivalled only by his. We glared at each other for a few seconds, his gaze so intense that it burned. He was evidently angry at Isaac or frustrated by my tenacious attitude.

"Isn't it best to avoid danger?" He asked simply.

I clenched my fist, angry at his attitude. I'd spent hours training with him and to take me away from anyone that posed a threat, to hide me from everything risky irritated me beyond belief. My eyes were fixed unwaveringly on Dezabel. E Sancruor's portrait so that I wouldn't portray what I was feeling through my eyes.

"Just let me go back into the feast!" I sighed, really wishing that I would never have to set eyes on Isaac again.

"I'm not going to take that chance." Ashley said firmly, his jaw clenched.

"What chance?" I asked irritably.

I stamped towards the wall and stared, arms crossed, at the ornate picture frame. The paint was peeling around the edge of it and I focused on this, not wanting to lose my temper with Ashley.

"I don't want you to get hurt." He whispered.

Ashley's voice was low in my ear and I shivered at his close proximity. I closed my eyes, regaining composure and fighting down the blush that was edging into my cheeks. His hair brushed against my ear lobe and when my eyelids snapped open again he was beside me, leaning ever closer by the second. His jade eyes were steady and careful but emotions were bubbling inside me like a volcano.

I stood very still, not moving towards him or edging away. His wonderful scent washed over me as he closed the distance between us. I closed my eyes as my heart beat more rapidly in my chest, threatening to explode from anticipation. Finally his lips brushed against mine, as softly as a feather. The shock rushed over me in waves. I was kissing Ashley and unlike with Joe, no thoughts were rushing through my head except for waves of delight and excitement.

He pulled away from me and without his lips, I suddenly felt alone and cold. When no further kiss came I had to fight to hold in a growl of infuriation. A low chuckle made me open my eyes. And he was standing there beside me, his skin angelic looking in the dim light. His eyes glinted and a smile played on his lips.

"I don't want to get hurt either." I stated.

"Then don't go back in there. Stay with me."

And with those three words, excitement rushed through my body. I initiated the kiss this time, leaning towards him through the small distance. But I lacked the patience or self restrain to kiss him gently, pulling his face demandingly down to mine.

He seemed amused at my eagerness but his arms wrapped around my waist. And in his arms it felt as if the world was infinitesimal and nobody, human or vampire, could harm me. My fingers combed through his silky hair and his hands tightened around me. Our lips moved together in a way I thought impossible. I didn't want to think. All I wanted to do was feel the moment, to fall into this kiss and never resurface. He pulled away from me too soon but neither of our hands loosened.

"Just don't go back there." He repeated in the voice that I loved.  

............................................................. 

I'm really sorry for the late upload! I've been really busy lately :/ People have been commenting either requesting Ashley's POV or advising me against it. Thanks for letting me know your opinions!- I've decided to continue writing in my current style (i.e Elizabeth's point of view) because I'm more comfortable like this and I don't want to give away Ashley's secrets! So as usual, please comment/fan/vote :)