21. mean

"UP FIRST BAKUGO KATSUKI AND L/N Y/N!"

How the hell was I supposed to win this?

I dragged my feet walking up to the concrete arena that we would be fighting on. Silently making a prayer that my body wouldn't be completely mangled by the end of this I put on a game face and continued to regret every decision I had ever made.

I MEAN COME ON BAKUGO WAS EVEN GOOD AT MATH WHAT THE HECK.

We met in the middle awkwardly shaking hands while the crowd cheered.

"Hey, Bakugo promise me you'll fight me seriously?"

"Why the hell would I do anything else dumbass."

"I was just making sure." Something felt wrong about all of this. Like it was all some joke. Some unexplainable dread filled me.

We stepped away from each other moving to opposite sides of the platform.

Come on Y/N think of Bakugo's bad characteristics to calm yourself and reclaim that sweet feeling of superiority.

"ARE YOU READY?" Uncle Yamada shouted out. "GO!!!!!"

The instant he said go my dread returned. The sound of the crowd blurred together with the sound of my heartbeat. Racing, pulsing, terrified. I stood still just watching as Bakugo got ready to move.

"What the hell are you doing dumbass?" Bakugo lunged toward me launching an explosion dangerously close to my face. Bakugo's expression was unreadable, a blank slate. It lacked the excitement he usually had when he was fighting.

There wasn't any time for thinking.

I narrowly missed another explosion running to put some distance in between us. I activated my quirk there was no way I was going to win this if I didn't go all out. I continued to dodge Bakugo trying to figure out how much I had in me.

15 minutes?

No

7?

No

5 at the most. I would have to end this quick, I couldn't go on at max power forever. Bakugo came careening towards me I ducked narrowly avoiding a fist. He powered up again ready to knock me out of the course.

I took a deep breath and deactivated his quirk causing him to drop and stumble dangerously close to the edge. A wave of nausea washed over me.

Steady.

No words were exchanged between us as we fought. I charged at him unprepared for how taxing it would be for me to run in my current state.

5 minutes of this seemed impossible.

I might only have 2.

Bakugo grunted getting up from where he had landed. I rushed forward to everything rested on me being able to push him out of the arena. For a split second, I lessened my control in order to give myself a boost of power.

The extra boost wasn't enough. I ran into Bakugo and fell hard.

Another wave of nausea. I pushed hopelessly against him as he stood still not budging an inch. I moved back to come at him again.

The crowd was completely silent as he stood there silently judging the way I uselessly attacked.

"You don't have to do this." He muttered continuing to stand there. His blank look was gone replaced with pity.

I need to do this

My mind raced as I rushed forward. At this point I wasn't even using my quirk, he knew very well that he could just stand there and do nothing.

And that's what hurt.

It hurt that he could just stand there and do nothing. It hurt that I was so weak. It hurt that I wasn't able to become stronger as I was. I could only support. He knew that that's why he looked down with such a sad expression. I didn't want his pity. I wanted to go against him when he was giving it his all.

I could only support.

Bakugo sidestepped and I nearly tripped outside of the arena.

It was not going to end like this.

I liked.

No.

I loved Bakugo. I wasn't going to just give up and ruin something that I loved so much.

"WHAT WILL IT TAKE FOR YOU TO TAKE ME SERIOUSLY?" I whirled around screaming in his face. A look of shock came over him. As if it was just now registering how much this meant to me. The crowd was dead silent.

"I don't want to hurt you dumbass." He muttered. I looked down.

"I don't want to be some weak girl that you have to protect." I paused lifting my head to meet his eyes, "If anything I should be the one protecting you." I walked closer to him.

He opened his mouth to say something the words never coming out. He just nodded offering me a hand.

"It was fun earlier when we did the other challenges." I extended my hand and grabbed his. At this moment it didn't matter that the crowd was right there. I couldn't hear them.

I didn't hear Midnight or Uncle Yamada. Nothing it was just this.

All I saw was Bakugo whose eyes were lit up with a fiery passion. This time we were going to fight for real.

"Are you guys done." An unmistakably tired voice belonging to Dad rang out over the stadium.

"THANKS, DAD," I screamed resisting the urge to flip him off. Children were watching this.

This time when Bakugo charged forward he didn't hesitate to attack with full power. By some miracle, I dodged and activated my quirk lowering his. At this point, I couldn't do much more than bring him down to half power, unless I depleted all my energy which I wasn't completely keen on.

When my eyes met Bakugo's again I smiled. He was taking me seriously I should to. I activated my quirk at full causing him to go careening outside of the arena. He was still in the air. I fainted.

Despite that I was happy.

_______________________________________________________________

OK THANK YOU GUYS FOR 10K

IT MEANS SO MUCH THAT I'VE MADE THIS MILESTONE LIKE WHAT YALL ACTUALLY ENJOY THIS????

I JUST WANNA CELEBRATE. 

I KNOW I SAID I WASN'T GOING TO DO A Q&A BUT WBATEVER IF YOU GUYS HAVE QUESTIONS JUST COMMENT THEM AND I CAN ANSWER.

YeEt

-Ai