Chapter Sixty-Six

Hades remained still after Persephone's confession, watching as his beautiful wife continued to tear up over her mistake

Hades remained still after Persephone's confession, watching as his beautiful wife continued to tear up over her mistake. He didn't know what to say to console her right away, simply because he didn't believe her actions to be a mistake, she viewed it to be that way. When they had given Elspeth to the Hayes, they had denounced themselves as her parents, merely only the ones to be responsible for her birth and nothing more. They figured at the time that it wouldn't pose a problem, after all, she was given to the Hayes almost immediately after her birth. There was hardly any time to bond with her, she was just an infant, a stranger.

And as time grew closer to when they knew that Elspeth would come to learn of the secrets of her family's history, both Hades and Persephone didn't think it would cause any upset. They were just going to view her as one of the Hayes' family members, not as their own. But it wasn't as easy as they thought to be once they were properly introduced to her again. Her personality, her nature, everything about Elspeth drew them back to her, kicking in their parental instincts. Suddenly, she was their daughter again and they couldn't deny it within themselves, even if they were trying to for the sake of Sorcha and Caelan.

The couple had been devastated by the attempts at starting a family and not finding any sort o success. Hades and Persephone knew that Sorcha and Caelan were good people, no, they were great people They worked hard for the sake of others, wanted to provide a better world and they wanted to love a child of their very own. Persephone wanted to reward the couple and Hades was more than willing to oblige to her plan.

At the time, Hades didn't wish to share in the idea of children around the Underworld, too much darkness had left him in a poor state of mind. The Underworld was a neutral place, of course, there was the good and the bad, but there were times that even Hades himself could only focus on the bad. He didn't want that for his own children, it was haunting.

Yet, Elspeth loved the Underworld, frightened by certain aspects in the beginning, but once she adjusted, she treated it like home, almost as if she knew or as if she could sense that she belonged there. Not to mention, she fit in perfectly among the other gods perfectly and that wasn't simply coincidental. Of course, not many were aware of Elspeth's origins as Persephone and Hades agreed to keep the matter private as they didn't need any of the other gods and goddesses aware of their business.

They both would shudder to think what Demeter would say or do, knowing that her own grandchild had been placed among mortals, even if they were witches and wizards. Hades could just hear the drama that would unfold with that.

"Persephone," he called out her name softly, " there is no need to cry, this entire matter can be fixed. Let Elspeth drink from the River of Lethe and all will be forgotten-"

"I cannot bring myself to do that, Hades," Persephone said in a small voice as she shook her head, " how many times have we brought her to forget? To forget her own truth? The answer is one too many times. This is her life and while I did not agree with you before, to be presented with the act of having to steal something that is rightfully her knowledge, it feels entirely too wrong."