161. In the Night

I walked out of the train that I took from Nocsinis back to Lumina, stepping foot once again on the same Station Square that I was here just a couple hours earlier with Irina. The stage in the center of the Station Square has been disassembled and removed from view, leaving behind no traces or remembrance of that past. The few pedestrians that were still out in this late winter night simply walked right past that spot as if nothing had occurred there earlier.

I huffed out a cloud of white air and reached my numb hands into my pockets for my phone. I checked the illuminated screen for the time and saw that it was already 10:45 P.M. From nearby, I could hear the sound of speakers playing the audio of what was being broadcasted on the large jumbotron screen located on the side of a building that was visible from the Station Square. Looking over, I saw that it was the finale of the live stream. From the looks of it, Irina must've partnered up with Henvle after the forced departure of both Henvle's guest and me since the two were connected by a paper wristband.

The two were smiling as they waved towards the camera while holding up their prizes which were a matching pair of platinum rings. Henvle appeared quite happy, and even though Irina was acting as if she was quite joyful as well, I could tell that something was off and that she was simply forcing herself to act that way. I know the reason why she's like that, but... it's not like I really have another choice at the time.

Without thinking much about other stuff, I started walking towards the streets in the direction of the building where I resided in. To keep my hands warm, I kept them in the pockets of my coat.

Even though I tried to keep my mind clear of any distractions, I am still unable to shake off that odd feeling that I felt after prying Irina's hand away from mine. That gesture is quite rude and might give her the wrong idea. I do not want this to destroy whatever bond that might connect us. It was just something that I must do at that moment in time. I know it must be harsh for her since she has feelings for me, but as I've stated in the past, I suspect that those feelings are simply gratitude and admiration for what I was able to accomplish for her. The reality is, she doesn't know me well enough to develop true romantic feelings for me. Someone like me does not deserve someone like her. I am a scum, the worst of the worst of humanity. I deserve to operate alone and in the shadows. As someone who lives in the dark, that spot next to her who bask in the glamor of the spotlight isn't fit for me. I do not want to take advantage of her for a temporary pleasure and hurt her. Besides, if this feeling that she holds for me isn't a true and genuine love, then I rather it be buried away and never come into light.

The cold wind blew in from Oceanus Leshius, into the mouth of the Helliger River, and down the banks of the river. It moved my hair as well as the tail-end of my winter coat that I had buttoned up. Looking over to my left, I saw right across the dark river that reflected the skyline and lights of both Lumina and Nocsinis district. I took in the beautiful view of the Nocsinis skyline and thought about the river that flowed beside me. This was the river that the boat they were on had sailed down...

I entered through the front door to my building and boarded the elevators up to the floor that I live on. Without coming into contact with anyone on my way up, I exited the elevator and walked towards the door to my residence. After unlocking the door with my fingerprint, I opened it and entered. With my eyes partially closed, I let out a sigh of relief as I began subconsciously remove my footwear. However, that was when I saw the unfamiliar pair of dress shoes that were neatly set by the door next to the heels that Loriana had worn.

With a sigh, I quickly entered the house, looking around in the living room for any signs of life. Once I confirmed that there was nobody in the living room, I quickly made my way over down the small hallway and stopped before Loriana's bedroom door. I then knocked on the door and without waiting for an answer, I opened it and entered.