thirteen - theories of transubstantial transfiguration

JUN, 1976
CLASSROOM 4F

Bellatrix and Rosier definitely got their money's worth; Camilla tried to quit the stupid detention after three days

Bellatrix and Rosier definitely got their money's worth; Camilla tried to quit the stupid detention after three days. Unfortunately Professor McGonagall would not have that and practically dragged her there by the ear, much to her fury and irritation. And so two long months went by rather non-progressively as Camilla refused to even touch the library books Lupin brought from the library. Eventually he ended up just using the hour to practice charms for their nearing exams, while she set fire to parchment absently. Another thing that rather annoyed her was how he even was allowed to miss a few of the detentions to go home to see his sick muggle mother. In her personal opinion, if the school had any pride they should have made him stay at home and never return.

By the time June came around, neither of them were even making an effort anymore (not that Camilla had been making one in the first place). There was absolutely no point; the task was ridiculous and considering they had exams coming up in a few weeks, they could be spending their time much more usefully.

The classroom was far too chilly for such a brilliant Friday afternoon. Camilla was sitting on a desk in the corner of the room reading a transfiguration book, because honestly she needed to brush up on her wand movements and theory, though she'd never admit that to anyone. On the other side, the filthy half-blood was practicing his charms, rather loudly might she add. His pathetic attempts to perform Avis, a sixth year charm, one they didn't need until next year, was actually interrupting her study of Theories of Transubstantial Transfiguration. She tried to concentrate for another thirty seconds before giving up and closing her leather-bound book. Irritation sparked in her chest and she tilted her head to watch his weak efforts, in the mood to laugh at him or possibly humiliate him.

She could see Lupin was deep in thought as he flicked his wrist in the bobbing motion, muttering the spell over and over. Rather than birds erupting from the tip of his wand, blue sparks sputtered out, glowing and spitting. His technique was all wrong, Camilla could see it right away and a smirk curled her lips. But the longer she watched him struggle, frowning, checking his book, waving his wand every which way, the more the vicious, vindictive will seeped out of her limbs. She couldn't help but stare, her mind racing all of a sudden. It reminded her of something, something she didn't want to think about. If she'd done what she was about to do to him, she would be like them.

It took about four seconds for her to figure out that Lupin was staring back at her, a wary, vaguely confused expression on his face. Her gaze snapped away immediately and her slack features pulled into a haughty frown.

"You're doing it wrong," she told him, looking back at him once she was certain of her composure.

"Thanks. I hadn't noticed," Lupin deadpanned. He turned back to his book, clearly annoyed with himself. A sudden urge to help him get the spell right filled her. What in Merlin's name was wrong with her? Camilla told herself that it was simply because his incessant chanting was giving her a headache, not because she felt sorry for him or guilty for wanting to put him down. And with that reasoning, she hesitantly stood and walked over to his side of the classroom.

"Look." Camilla raised her wand, still at a loss as to why she was doing this for him, and said, "Avis." There was a loud bang and maybe twenty blue birds shot from the tip of her wand. They started twittering and fluttering above their heads, completely oblivious to the witch and wizard beneath them. The reason she knew Avis was because Camilla was a charms prodigy, Professor Flitwick's teacher's pet in fact, and he'd let her study N.E.W.T. level charms since fourth year. Instead of looking grateful, Lupin simply rolled his eyes and grit his teeth.

Camilla wanted to laugh incredulously. Here she was, doing him an actual favour, and this lowly half-blood was dismissing her. If he wanted to perform N.E.W.T. standard charms, unsuccessfully mind you, it was his own choice and own road to embarrassment. She folded her arms over her chest and watched him full of reproach.

"What?" the half-blood finally asked, frustration apparent as his wand arm dropped to his side.

"I'm trying to help you. Here." He didn't have time to look surprised (though he probably wasn't as surprised as she felt - she didn't even know why she was helping him) before Camilla put her hand over his so she could control his wand and twisted so they faced the same direction. "Now bob and swish twice," she said, slowly directing his hand, "and be clear. Avis." The birds flew out of his wand in a stream of feathers and shrieks. Suddenly aware of where she was and how violently her parents would react to what she was doing, Camilla turned on her heel and walked back to her side of the room.

Sneaking a glance at Lupin, he still seemed to be in shock, so in shock that he didn't even remove the hair that had fallen into his eyes as he stared at the birds, wand arm still extended. He wasn't the only one feeling it. With practiced composure, Camilla sat back down on the desk, controlling the shaking in her hand, and opened Theories of Transubstantial Transfiguration again. All the anger and hate she'd had for him at the beginning of the hour had all but dissipated, leaving some kind of emotional void. She wasn't sure what to do with it, so she let it sit, contemplative about the whole situation.

"Um, Camilla?" Her head snapped sideways, eyes locking with the Lupin's. He hesitated for a moment, unsure and still a little wary, as if he was expecting a catch. "Why did you help me?" She considered for a few moments, caught in the headlights. In all honest truth, she had no idea. She'd never done it before for anyone, never expected to. Her parents would disown her for even talking to him unless it was a slur or absolutely necessary. So with the limited timespan she had to come up with an answer, she went for the most believable.

"... It was annoying."