Chapter Nine

I should have guessed Rosamund would not take my insubordination without retaliation. George caught up to me at the breakfast table. "What's this I hear about you keeping Rosamund from visiting Mother? Do you somehow think you have the monopoly on Mother's time now you are here?"

"Certainly not," I said, offended he would suggest such a thing. "I did, however, know Mama was resting and did not wish to be disturbed. While I attempted to explain this to Rosamund, Mama overheard and sent a maid to inform us to take ourselves elsewhere. If you don't believe me, you may ask Mama the next time you see her."

George scowled. "I don't see what you have against Rosamund, Luke," he said as he pulled a chair out to settle into next to me. "Can't you see how stressful you are making things with this petty disagreeableness?"

My appetite ruined, I put my fork down and pushed my plate away. "My petty disagreeableness? I did not set out to butt heads with your wife, George. We do not get on, and I don't imagine we ever will. She has taken far too much interest in what I do, and I do not appreciate it. The decisions I make in my life are for me and me alone."

"She is merely concerned—."

"Concerned? She is a nosy busybody, which is the nicest way I can put it."

"Luke, that is what I mean when I say you are disagreeable. You hardly know Rosamund, and yet you call her names."

Rolling my eyes, I shook my head. "You wish to know the truth? Fine. I do not like Rosamund. I did not want to say anything because I know you are...fond of her." I mentally added the words 'for some unknown reason.' "I do not care for her manner of speaking. Perhaps it is because we are unacquainted, but as I said already, I doubt further time with her will change my opinion."

"Rosamund is a true lady," George said defensively. "Why can you not see that?"

"No, our mother is a true lady. I can only hope one day I find someone who is Mama's equal."

George frowned. "One day? You do not think Phoebe is worthy of you?"

I mentally kicked myself for the slip-up. "Do not put words in my mouth, brother-of-mine," I said sharply. "I said no such thing about Phoebe's worth. She is a fine girl, as you know, but she is not like Mama."

"It's shabby of you to criticize her."

"As shabby as trying to arrange a marriage for me that I do not want?" I shook my head. "Why must we argue whenever we are in the same room?" I asked, deciding to leave the topic altogether. "When I think of the fun times we had as children, I am ashamed we quarrel so often now."

It was true. He and I had been close as children. Perhaps it was the mental idea of it being the only boys against four girls. Once we were sent to school, though, we had drifted apart, each finding our own friends. When he left school, his interests went into learning how to run the estate, while mine went to exploring the world.

Heaving a sigh, George shook his head. "Don't think you can use your charm on me, Luke," he said, though a familiar note of fondness had crept into his tone. "Mama lets you get away with anything and everything."

"She does not." An idea hit, causing me to grin. In a gesture of peace, I asked: "Do you feel up to some fishing this afternoon?"

Looking genuinely regretful, he shook his head again. "Rosamund has already requested I attend her on some visits today," he said as he got to his feet. "And Father needs my assistance on a few matters for the estate. I have no free time."

Disappointed, I forced a smile. So much for reinstating the bond between us. "Another day then, George."

George started to walk away, but then bent low by my side. "Between you and me, I would rather be fishing."