CHAPTER 5 - bruised knuckles

I am woken by the sound of screaming and banging metal. I instantly shoot up, pulling the covers over my almost bare body.
Tobias is at the dorm entrance hitting a metal bar off the door frame.
"Everyone in the pit in 10 minutes" his voice blares through the room before he quickly exits.
Before anyone can get up I stand from the bed quickly grabbing my stack of clothes and running for the bathroom across the corridor. I hope nobody saw me in my underwear. I throw my hair in a bun so I don't wet it and quickly strip off completely behind a shower curtain.
I hum a tune under my breath and turn the tap on. The boiling hot water soaks my body causing a stinging sensation all over my back from the Fresh belt whips only two days ago.
The tattoo foil falls to the floor, revealing my new tattoo to the steamy air.

I turn the water off and dry myself off with my towel. I quickly change into a tight fighting T-shirt and some black shorts. I lace up my trainers and quickly run towards the pit or I'll be late. No one else had a shower but also no one else ran 20 laps of the compound yesterday either.
I arrive at the pit and rejoin with the people I would like to think of as my friends here, Adam, Danny, Jack, Jane and Harry.
"How did you have time to take a shower?" Harry asks and I just shrug before Four Eric and Tori walk in.

"So I'm going to run this down for you quickly. Dauntless borns will be trained separately from transfers as you are at different levels. However that is only for stage one: physical. Stage two is mental so you will be ranked together for that one and stage three is a mixture so same thing" Tori explains and Harry speaks up.

"Ranked?"

"You will be marked and ranked in each stage of initiation. It will determine your final ranking which decides your job" Tobias speaks up.
"Transfers Follow Four and Eric to training room 1, you get the pleasure of Eric overseeing your training" Tori smiles and the dauntless borns sigh in relief. I wonder what is really so bad about this guy except that he's a jerk.

"You will get a break at 1 and we expect you to meet here in the pit for two. Dauntless borns Follow me to training room 2." Tori walks off in the other direction leaving just us transfers and trainers.
"Follow us" Eric demands and begins to walk at the front of the group, Tobias behind him.

Everyone makes small talk about what we might be doing today, where as I already know.
We arrive at the training room and when we walk inside we head over to the targets as I suspected. I glance at Eric quickly and his eyes catch mine. He quickly looks away and clears his throat.

"Today you will start with knife throwing. Four will show you a demo" his voice is cold and he spits my brothers name like it's on fire. I wonder what is going on there, why do they hate each other?
Tobias takes a knife off the metal tables and stands up to the target. He pulls his arm behind his head carefully and takes a breath before flinging the knife and it hitting the target dead centre.

"Grab some knives and find a target. Go!" Eric orders and we all scatter around looking for knives and targets.

I stare at the target seeing the all so attractive red circle known as the bullseye.
I pull back the knife behind my shoulder like Tobias did and take a quick breath and I fling the knife. It barely hits the outer circle. I look around and see I'm the first to even hit the target other people's knives lodging in the walls.
"Your breathings off" I hear a voice behind me before I realize Eric was watching.
"Take a deeper breath before you shoot, and don't be so tense, relax yourself"
"Easy for you to say, your probably an expert" is all I say before turning back around. Eric huffs before walking onto the next initiate but he offers no help.

I try to calm and relax myself. I let my posture fall slightly and lift my arm behind my head. I take a deep breath and throw. The knife lands in the circle around the bullseye, I smile.
"You could do better than that" I turn around and he is standing behind me again.
"Isn't there other initiates you could help?" I begin to get irritated.
"I don't bother putting my time into things that won't give a result."
"Whatever"

+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+

"So like your punishment is to train with him every night after dinner?" Harry is horrified will he takes a bite of his blt.
"Yep, yesterday it was during dinner"
"Hey can I talk to you Alex?" Tobias ushers me to follow him and I just look back at my friends. "See you later" I follow Tobias out of the hall and into an empty hallway.

"What do you want to talk about?" I say probably a bit too harshly.
"You know what"
"Really Tobias? Do I really? Because I'm not quite sure what you want to talk about" I almost scream, thank god the hallways are empty.
"I'm sorry okay! I'm sorry I left you but If I didn't I would be stuck there now! Put yourself in my shoes, you would've left too." His voice goes from a shout to a whisper.

He slowly nears me and pulls me into a hug. I feel like crying but I refuse to let myself. I haven't cried since I was 10 years old, I decided it was pointless.
"I'm so sorry you had to face it alone. I feel awful. But now we are both here, together. We can start again" I pull back.

"No I'm sorry. I shouldn't be so selfish. You had to leave just as much as I did. And your right we can start again here"
"I'm glad we cleared this up. Also I'm sorry you got caught training with Eric, I tried to convince Max to reconsider but he won't."
"I'm fine, I can handle him" Tobias scoffs.
"That's what you think. Hey we've got to get back to the training room."

+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+

"Your dismissed for the day. Get out" Eric begins to pick up the knives,guns and mess of bullets the initiates as everyone walks out, including Tobias. I huff and head over to him. I begin taking knives from the targets and he looks up at me.

"What're you doing stiff?" He raises an eyebrow.
"Helping you? I've got training after dinner so I figured I'd clean up with you train and then grab food after" I explain and he just gives me a weird look.
"Whatever stiff, once we're cleaned up we'll start then"
Once all the knives are sharpened and laid on the table I sigh in relief. Eric has made quick work of the bullets that we're all over the ground.

"So what are we doing?" I turn to him and our eyes connect, staring for a moment before speaking again. His grey eyes are like a storm.
"30 push ups." He orders and I just make a face.
"Can't we just do something like knife throwing? Something fun"
"Punishments aren't supposed to be fun." He smirks.
"Oh I'm sorry I was mistaken. I thought my punishment was your presence. Forgive me." I fire back. His smirk fades.
"You just earned yourself 20 more." I roll my eyes and get down to the ground.

After my pushups I stand up again.
"What now?" I ask and he walks over to a punching bag.
"Hit it" He says and stands behind me as I face the bag.
I Throw a punch at the bag and the impact reddens my knuckles.
"Your not too weak for a stiff, did you work out in abnegation?" He questions and I just shrug my shoulders.
"Sometimes yeah" I admit. I knew Marcus didn't get home from work until late so I snuck out to the woods and worked out.

"Hit it again" He says and I do.
I feel a pair of arms on my waist. My breath hitches.
"Keep tension here. Use all your force, your not very tall"
"Okay" I say slightly pitchy.
I throw another punch him twisting my waist as I do so, the bag sways.
"Good, why's your heart beating so fast?" He smirks.
"Maybe because you just came up behind me and grabbed me" I say shakily.
His hands fall to his sides as he steps away from me.
"Keep going"

+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+

"Okay I think that's enough for today" Eric sounds bored. We've been here for the past 3 hours, me hitting the punching bag.
I look down to my knuckles to see they are black and blue. They are so red to the point they are bleeding.

Eric walks over to me he grabs my hands examining my knuckles.
"Suck the blood off, the bruising will go down in a few days. You should go grab some food and sleep."
I nod and go to walk out the door.
"Alex" he calls. I turn back.
"You did good tonight"
I smile and turn back around.
"For a stiff that is"