15. I'm Not Moving Mountains And Seas, Martina

When I get home, I shower, change into my pyjamas and settle down on my bed. I take a deep breath then let it out. If these are the dramas of the dating life then I don't know if I want a part in any of it. I grab out my phone and open my messaging app to talk to Thomas. I sigh and start typing. I let out everything. Thomas usually replies really quickly to text messages. Either that, or he doesn't reply at all. Within about a minute I see he's read my message. There are no bubbles saying he's replying, though. I frown, wondering what's wrong with Thomas. Then I remember Samuel. They're probably busy together... sadly.

I lie down, scrolling through Instagram when I'm interrupted by a loud growl coming from my stomach. I wince, realising just how hungry I am. I can't eat. I can't. I've already worked out today and I don't want to add on the calories I burned, even if it's just one. I get up and walk into the kitchen. The fridge is so close but I veer away to the cupboards, grabbing out a glass and filling it with water. I take a few gulps. It's refreshing after my busy and drama-filled day.

I move to the lounge and curl up in a ball, switching on the television. I flick through a couple of channels before getting bored and heading back upstairs to my room. I open my messages up. Surely Thomas hasn't been replying for an hour, has he? Nope. My fingers tap away at the keyboard.

M: You there, Thomas?

I sit there. I'm looking at the read receipt underneath my sent message. Geez, thanks, Thomas. I press the call button in the corner of my screen. It eventually rings out without being answered. I sigh and lock my phone, dropping it on my bed. I rub my face and groan, annoyed. Why won't Thomas answer me? My phone dings and I slap my hands down on the bed faster than Usain Bolt could run one metre.

T: Can't talk right now.

Well then. You could have said that an hour ago. Unless you were busy. Why am I getting so worked up about this? I look at the time. It's nine. I have nothing better to do so I clean my teeth and get under the covers. Finally, I can completely let go and relax.

Sitting in English, I wait for Thomas to arrive to class. While I'm waiting I draw little animals and humans in the back of my book. Old habit. Mr Barnes starts the class just as Thomas walks in, his hair more dishevelled than usual - and he has curly hair so that means it's really bad. I wave at him and we make eye contact. I tap the desk beside me with my nail. It sounds too loud in this quiet classroom. Thomas looks away from me but not before throwing me a look of disgust. What the hell did I do?

I see Bianca turn around, looking at me and snickering. I roll my eyes at her before she turns around, then watch as Thomas sits at a desk at the front of the room by himself. There's a squeak from someone in the back row; the same row as me. I whip my head around, alarmed. It's Teddy, smiling sheepishly, half his face covered by his hands.

"Bless me," he whispers.

Some people laugh and George pats him on the back. I glance over at Thomas who has his face buried in his hands, still facing the front. I frown, concerned as to why Thomas is in such a foul mood this morning. Maybe he had a fight with Samuel? Or maybe it was a fight with his mum? Or his Dad called? I have no idea. I need to talk to him privately at break time.

"Oi," someone whispers. "Martina."

I look in the direction of the whisper. It's from the row in front of me. It's Bailey.

I huff. "What is it?"

"Can I sit with you?" he asks. "You look kinda lonely."

"I guess so," I shrug. It wouldn't hurt. Maybe we could sort some things out.