Chapter Two

A/N: I'm not sure who the actress is, but the photograph on the side is how I picture Cassandra.

When Nate and Cassandra arrived at London at the end of their five day long journey, she was just as in awe of the city as always.

As they traversed through the cobbled streets, her face remained constantly at the window as she drank in the sights she'd already seen so many times before. Nate merely laughed at her as his gaze passed over the city streets in only mild interest.

"Although my season has never been a source of excitement to me, the city always has." Cassandra admitted, although Nate had heard this many times before. "Are you sure we cannot move to London?"

"Very." Nate said, just like he'd said the last time she'd asked, which had been the year before.

Finally, they entered into the gates of the large Kensington townhouse their father had bought some years before his death. Nate had even jokingly deemed it unpatriotic due to its having been built in the French style. The house was exceedingly large, comprising four floors with twelve bedchambers. It was entirely unnecessary for a summer home, but nothing could be done now.

Nate exited first and then helped Cassandra out of the carriage. She landed on the gravel before the house with a little jolt. It felt lovely to stretch her legs again after being in the carriage for the past six hours, since they'd stopped for luncheon.

Mrs. Norris, the housekeeper and only permanent staff member, hurried out to greet them. She adored Nate especially and continually attempted convince him to court her younger daughter. The house only had Mrs. Norris on staff now, which was why another maid and footman had been brought from Somerhall Manor. They'd have to suffice for a few days until the staff Mrs. Norris had no doubt sourced would arrive.

After the journey, there was nothing Cassandra and Nate wanted more than to sleep. They were still hungry, however, and the two of them held back their yawns long enough to demolish some of Mrs. Norris's potato and leek soup, fresh bread and apple pie.

After bidding her brother goodnight, Cassandra went up to her room, where she was met by Amelia who helped her undress. Travelling in a corset was highly uncomfortable and she'd been in agony all day, which was why she was relieved when the restricting thing was taken off her. Her nightgown was much more comfortable to don.

Once Amelia had left with a quick curtsy, no doubt dreaming of sleep herself, Cassandra settled into the silken bedsheets. Within minutes of her head hitting the pillow, she was fast asleep.

*
The next morning, Cassandra was awoken earlier than she'd have liked. It was already almost 10 O'clock, but the last few days of travel had left her tired and in need of sleep.

With a sigh, she slipped out of bed and let Amelia lace her into her corset. Amelia had already picked out a dress for Cassandra to wear, and she wore the comfortable white day dress with joy, as her corset did not need to be too tight for this one. It was only her more expensive dresses that required this.

"Is there anything you'd like to do today, Amelia?" Cassandra asked, knowing that, while it was her third time in the city, it was Amelia's first as she'd only become Cassandra's lady's maid six months before.

"Whatever you'd prefer to do, milady." Amelia deflected, deftly tying the bow on the back of Cassandra's dress.

"Do not be bashful." She asked, before urging her again to tell her if there was anything she wanted to do.

"Well, a picnic in Hyde Park sounds lovely, Lady Cassandra, but only if you would like to do so."

"I adore Hyde Park!" Cassandra exclaimed in glee, as it truly was one of her favourite places in London. Nate, however, disliked it immensely, which meant she was always forced to convince one of the maids to accompany her as she was not allowed to go alone. She then peered out of the window at the sky and added, "It is a lovely day for a picnic, as well."