14 | Because of You

Semaj's POV

I'm okay.

I'm fine.

I just got myself a little worked up. That's all.

I heard the squeaky-sound of the women's restroom door opening and a few seconds later two soft knocks were met against my stall. I wasn't sure how long I had been tucked tightly against the far wall of the handicapped stall, but I assumed it was long enough because Lina was back to announce Michael's arrival.

I should have never let her call Michael. I should have stopped her the minute I realized what she was doing. Not only had I just woken the beast that Michael worked so hard to tame, but I knew I had also put a target on Marco's back. Now not only did I have to try and calm myself down and collect my thoughts, but I had to manage Michael and make sure he didn't go off the deep end himself.

"Mike is out there and he only givin' you three minutes to come out before he's coming in," she warned and had this been a lighter situation I would have cackled, but at this point my face was stone cold and all I could do was try to convince myself that I was okay. I needed to convince myself that I was or I felt I would lose my own cool and fall back into a crying, heaving mess. The last thing Michael needed to see at the moment was me crying my eyes out as I tried to sniff back the snot that threatened to come out of my nose. The back of my palm covered my nose as I swallowed hard. I cleared my throat and tried to find my voice.

"Tell him I'm o--" the door squeaked open again and I thought it was Michael until I heard another ladies voice greeting Lina politely. Lina quickly replied before going back to talk to me.

"You know damn well that ain't gon work," she half-whispered, but the restrooms were so quiet I'm sure the lady would hear the conversation either way. "You of all people should know that."

Of course, I knew that, and if it wasn't for being distraught twenty minutes ago I would have prevented Lina from ever making that call.

"Just go and tell him I'm okay, okay?" I sighed with a hint of annoyance in my voice. Michael was one to make a scene and I knew that he would. "I'll be out in a few minutes."

Lina mumbled an incoherent reply and I watched her black Nike shoes disappear from in front of my stall. I only had about sixty seconds before Michael decided to burst in here regardless of my wishes which only gave me about forty-five seconds to collect my thoughts and get myself together. I took a few deep breaths before exiting out of the stall. The motion detector attached to the toilet caught my movement and flushed as the stall slammed behind me. I had forgotten about the lady in the other stall until she walked out a few seconds later as I was dabbing my face dry from rinsing it over with cold water.

We were both startled when the door swung open hitting the wall behind it and I already knew who was about to walk around the small corner. Michael dressed in head to toe in his usual school attire looked pissed. More than pissed for at this moment-and the look on his face-told me that pissed was an understatement.

"Excuse me young man you aren't supposed to be in here," the woman spoke up as she rinsed the soap off of her hands and the water automatically shut off when she removed them. "The sign clearly states that this is a women's restroom."

"Lady just finish washing your damn hands and get out" Michael snapped quickly, unbothered by her presence as he grabbed my arm and pulled me away from the woman who now wore a look of shock. She ripped two pieces of paper towel quickly and made a hasty exit.

"Michael that wasn't nice," I sighed as I walked back over to the sink after shaking off his then-loose grip. I grabbed a few pieces of paper towel and then proceeded to wet them with cold water so I could run them down my neck. I was trying to stay cool to prevent from fainting right on this very floor. My mind had yet caught up with the events that had just taken place though it desperately tried to get itself in order. Marco was here and he saw me, then toyed with my emotions-smiling like he hadn't done a damn thing wrong.