15 | Eyes For You Only

Semaj's POV

I was ecstatic that Friday had finally arrived and that the weekend was near, for it guaranteed two things: Michael and sleep. I was mentally exhausted from the days prior and really just wanted to rest more than anything else. To be quite honest I wanted school to end all together. Luckily within the next two days it would be the beginning of June which then meant a week until prom followed by two weeks until graduation and somewhere in between the premier of the play. Since I was back in it now, no longer being Kearston's understudy or apart of stage production, I had more to look forward to as this school year came to a close. I loved high school, but I was more than ready to finish it. Once it was over then that meant I had the summer to spend with my friends... and family of course.

"Whoop whoop, go boo!" Lina shouted next to me as we sat in the cafeteria during the last period of class.

All of the seniors were called down to the cafeteria to celebrate and also support a handful of football players who were committing to their colleges. Apparently, Lina was relatively close with two of the five guys though I never even knew they existed. But that was expected considering I had just started this school this year. I just clapped my hands supporting them as they signed their contracts, took pictures with their parents, and shook the principal's hand. I guess it was a such a big thing that the news center came out to record it. I was pretty sure it'd be coming on the five o'clock news.

Lina popped her gum and I felt her eyes on me. I turned my head to look at her and saw she had a mischievous smile on her face.

"What?" I chuckled an eyebrow raising.

"There's a club opening up on the west side..." Her smile widened as mine fell.

"No way."

She kissed her teeth and grabbed my upper arm. "Oh, come on Semaj! It's been so long since we went to a club... like before Christmas."

"Yeah and we weren't even supposed to be in that one," I pulled my arm out of her hold and turned back toward the small stage. I thought if I tried to be interested in the rest of the players she would let it be and maybe once the bell rung for dismissal I could jet out before she had a chance to ask me again, but Lina was persistent. She kept talking even though I had turned away from her.

"But we got in," she said and I heard the smile on her face. "Thanks to Lenny."

"Yeah, well, Lina and Michael are not friends anymore and you can forget about me asking him to get us in... He'd say no."

"So just 'cuz y'all together mean you can't go out with me anymore? It wasn't a problem before y'all was together." She sounded irritated and maybe if Lina wasn't my cousin I would have felt bad, but I knew her. And she was only acting this way because I didn't want to go, so she was playing sides to see which angle worked better for her to convince me.

"And if you remember when we went out that specific time you begged me to go. I didn't even want to, but yet and still I went. Well I'm telling you now I don't want to go and if I did Michael wouldn't be able to stop me. So, don't make it sound like he controls me when really he just wants the best for me."

Okay, maybe I did find her words slightly offensive, but it was only because it wasn't the first time Lina let something like that slip. She had once before mentioned how Michael always had a say in what I did. Which was true, but sometimes I listened and sometimes I didn't. Michael didn't control me. He just had a tendency to get overprotective. And how could I blame him after almost dying? I didn't want to put him through that again. Or any of my family for that matter.

Lina whined next to me and sighed. "Fine. Stay home on a Friday night and read your book."

"I will." I replied blandly and clapped my hands once everyone else did. I was paying attention to Lina that I didn't know what was going on, but from the looks of it the small ceremony was coming to an end.