CHAPTER FIFTY-SEVEN

Aurora's POV:

Pain... burning, tedious pain. 

I felt as though my whole soul was being ripped slowly out of my body... every agonising second that I had to endure seemed like hours as I battled against the endless torment to hold onto my lifeforce. 

I screamed out in pain, hoping that somehow all of the pain and misery would fade away... but it didn't...how could it? I was stuck in my own mind, I knew that nothing here was real, I knew that it was all just a fragment of my imagination but it felt so real, the only difference between suffering mentally and suffering physically was the fact that I had no control, I was powerless in my own mind, and  nobody knew what was happening to me, so nobody could help me. 

All I could do was fight on and make myself believe that I could do the impossible and continue to survive... but the sickening thought that our luck was running out invaded my mind, my friends and I had all avoided death for so long, part of me wondered when our luck would run out.

"Aurora" whispered a low panicked voice.

The voice echoed around my head making it throb painfully, I screamed out again but this time I heard my own voice. 

"Wake up" 

I desperately tried to push my pain to one side as I attempted to focus my full attention on the voice.

"Come on, we have to fight," it said softly, acting as a beacon in the darkness.

That's when I realised that the voice belonged to Chase. Using all of the strength that I had I forced my eyes to open. The pain immediately vanished and the blurry image of Chase faded into focus before me.

"C-chase?" I asked in disbelief. 

I felt a tear roll down my cheek as I took in his face. 

Noticing that his beautifully soft features were riddled in deep cuts and shallow scratches reality set in... he never gave up on himself or us... he survived, wasting no more time I jumped forward and threw my arms around his body, pulling him into a heart-filled embrace.

"You're here" I whispered as he buried his face into the crook my neck and pulled me closer to his chest. 

"Of course I'm here, I would never leave you" he replied, his voice breaking slightly. 

A loud bang disrupted our moment, causing me to pull back and look around Chase's body. Emrick was laying on the floor surrounded by pebbles which I assumed fell off the wall that he was thrown into and Shade stood above him with a determined look on his face, he turned his head towards me and our eyes locked for a second before he gave me one of his signature smirks and returned his attention back to Emrick.

"Time to save the world" laughed Chase as he wiped away my tear and tucked one of the small strands of hair that had escaped my braid behind my ear. "care to join me?" he asked in a posh rich accent.

"But of course" I laughed, reaching down to draw my daggers. 

When my hand fell down past my side I looked down to see that they were gone. I immediately scanned the room until my eyes fell on Lucifer, who was watching silently as Sebastian, Shade and another girl who I didn't recognise battled fiercely against Emrick and his demon hoard. 

I stared at Lucifer with pure hatred until his eyes finally met mine, my hands balled into fists and lightning started to surround them as a small smile begun to spread across his face.

"Incoming" shouted Chase to grab my attention.

I broke my stare and spun around just in time to see a reasonably small demon flying in my direction. It opened its sharp beak and screeched loudly, protracting its long claws in my direction.