↳ FORTY-SIX

THE PASSED NIGHT felt almost like a dreamy haze, too good to have been true, but when the shreds of sleep melted away and the all-too-familiar sounds of breakfast being prepared finally invaded Izzy's unconscious state, the woman was happ...

THE PASSED NIGHT felt almost like a dreamy haze, too good to have been true, but when the shreds of sleep melted away and the all-too-familiar sounds of breakfast being prepared finally invaded Izzy's unconscious state, the woman was happy to be corrected. While last night had undeniably been a slice of Heaven, ironically, the strong arm around her waist and the warmth of another pair of bare, long legs under the strange sheets confirmed it all to be true. It took hardly a second for a blissful smile to widen Izzy's lips, despite her eyes remaining shut, and as she listened to the soft breaths that tickled the back of her neck with each exhale, and the fussing coming from the kitchen, every kiss and touch and high and low came back to her in a heart-fluttering, leg-weakening rush of memories.

"You up?", Mazikeen's hoarse, yet ever-so-beautiful morning voice disrupted the peace in the room, and with a satisfied yawn escaping Izzy's mouth, she rolled around on the bouncy mattress only to come face to face with an exceptionally tired demon. Whether it was typical, or the outcome of last night, was a mystery but nonetheless, it earned a soft grin from Izzy who leaned forward and carefully moved the stray strands from Maze's face, so she could press a faint kiss on the woman's forehead. With one eye parting open, the demon scrunched up her nose but ended up smiling as well, "I'll take that as a yes."

They had never been closer than right now — not only physically, although the mutual longing lingering between them certainly worked wonders on that front too, but beyond that, they were connected in such a profound bond of trust, they weren't quite sure what to do with it. Mazikeen surely hadn't been so emotionally attached to anyone else before, not on such many levels, and Izzy was finally moving on from the worries and prejudices that had weighed her heart down like an anchor. They had been through their fair share of troubles and drama, but at that moment, with Izzy's fingers drawing patterns on the brunette's exposed arm and the latter smiling ecstatically at the newfound love, it felt like they were past all that. Naturally, whatever the future held for them, it wasn't going to be only sunshine and rainbows, but perhaps now, they could at least consider a thing like that — a future.

There was, however, one detail that still nagged at the back of Izzy's mind, partly because of the lack of knowledge to help her understand, partly because of how she had reacted the first time.

"Could you show me your face?", Izzy breathed out, not intending to whisper the words so weakly, but at the very least, the confident, brave gaze in her eyes gave away the courage she was approaching with.

Maze, on the other hand, snorted in response and tiredly lifted her head from the cozy pillows. "Uh, here?", she ruffled her tousled hair and slowly opened her eyes, attempting to adjust to the sunlight breaking into the bedroom. Chuckling, Izzy swatted her arm before rolling onto her stomach and resting on both of her elbows, jaw landing onto the back of her hand as she admired the woman before her.

"It is a very beautiful face, but I meant... your real face", Izzy formed the sentence slowly and with caution, and when the cocky smirk on Maze's pink lips faltered, she was quickly clearing her throat and adding on. "I mean, only if you want to. But I think... last time, it was just so unexpected. Now, I'm ready—and I also feel really bad for running out when you were just trying to be honest and fair with me. It was a really big step for you and I—", the redhead erupted into a rant, but she wasn't given the opportunity to explain everything from beginning to end when Maze had already sat up and crossed her legs before reaching out for Izzy's hands.