Chapter Twenty-Nine

Chapter Twenty-Nine

Ezra didn't return Trinity, and it had been two days since I snuck into this hospital room. I spent every hour of the last two days worrying about him. When he didn't show up for any of his classes today, I wondered if he was still being drugged, still being physically and mentally abused.  

The terrified look on his face has been haunting me.

I promised myself if he didn't return to Trinity by tomorrow, then I'm going back, and I'm bringing police with me.

I paced my dorm room, it was late, and yet I didn't think I'd be able to sleep at all. Every hour that Ezra isn't here, is just another hour of me stressing, and mentally pulling my hair out. What can I do? Ezra is a billionaire; his parents are the most powerful people in America. The information I know about Dr. Athena could be the biggest scandal in American medical history.

And yet, I don't know what to do with it. Will the police even believe me?

I switched the light off in my dorm and climbed into bed. My thoughts were racing. It didn't help that I had the constant need to check outside my window as if I'd somehow see Ezra walking out there drugged, as I did before.

I took a deep breath, ordered myself to calm down, and closed my eyes.

I thought back to only a few months, how I wouldn't have cared less about Ezra Scott and his problems.

Now, I take his problems on as my own.

I tell myself it's because he's my friend, but lately, that hasn't been enough to fool me.

I can't even lie to myself anymore.

I tried to take deep breaths, thinking it'd help me fall asleep, but every passing minute, my mind seemed to get more and more full. Thoughts crowding together, suffocating every hope of mine to fall asleep before the sun came up.

I sat up.

Frustrated, I kicked the blankets off, and pulled myself out of bed. I didn't think about my actions, I only did them. I pulled on a large white sweater to protect me from the chilly autumn air and left my dorm. My plan was to take a walk out around the campus, to look at the stars and pretend that I wasn't worried about a handsome billionaire with severe anger issues.

Instead, I found myself standing in front of Ezra's dorm.

I glanced down the hall, thinking someone would see me, but, as they should be, everyone was asleep.

Everyone but me, of course.

Knowing I wouldn't get an answer, I still knocked. When there was complete silence and no evidence that anyone was in the dorm, I tried to twist the knob, but it was knocked.

I stared at the handle in my hand. Why was it locked? It wasn't locked before. I wondered who would have locked it. Who would have gone in Ezra's dorm and had a key to lock it afterwards?

Unless, they were still inside.

I knocked again, hope surging through my body, "Ezra?" I called, not caring if I woke anyone up, or if anyone was watching.

When there wasn't an answer, I began to pound on the door, "Ezra!" I shouted, "Please unlock the door."

I waited for what felt like an eternity.

And then I heard a small click, and the door opened.

Ezra appeared in front of me, and my heart stopped. He was leaning against the door-frame, his face gaunt, his hair a mess. His eyes were sunken in and had such dark circles they looked almost bruised.