CHAPTER 6 - a sunset

"Today, You will start with fighting skills. Divide into two groups half with me and half with Eric."
Before anyone has time to speak 5 people scatter over to Tobias. Those being harry, two candors, another erudite and an amity.
I look around and see I'm with 2 erudite boys a candor guy and an amity girl. We're with Eric.

"Okay everyone we will start with the punching bag, whilst Four will start with defensive techniques. Find a bag" his voice booms through the room making the amity girl flinch.
We run over to the bags and I stand in front of the same one as yesterday evening.
"Go!" Erics voice fills the room and is soon overpowered by the sounds of fists hitting the hard fabric. I look down at my knuckles still bruised badly from last night. It's crazy how no one here asks why you're knuckles are covered in bruises. Did you beat someone up? Did someone beat you up? No one cares; guess it's normal here.

I get into the stance Eric taught me last night my feet slightly apart. I throw a punch at the bag and it sways slightly, then another, then another.
I can feel eyes on me but I focus on the bag.
Its been about an hour before Eric's voice rings again.
"Switch!"

I run over to Tobias' station and we gather around him in a circle.
"I'll be teaching you defensive techniques. Milly your with Matthew, Alex Your with Theo and Kevin your with me."
Theo is from candor. He makes his way over to me, he smiles cheekily. "Hey hot stuff" he winks and I just roll my eyes.

"Okay guys, first tasks simple. Take turns to tackle each other to the floor. Go" Tobias says much calmer than Eric.
Me and Theo find a mat and I run at him. I throw all my body weight at him and knock him to the ground, me landing on his chest. He flips us over so he's hovering over me, getting too close to my face.

"On second thoughts Theo Your partnered with Matthew." Tobias hovers over us with a suspicious eye.
"Aw why?" Theo says removing his body from mine as I let out a sigh of relief.
"Because the aim of the task is to tackle your partner, not to get in their pants" He says smartly as Theo blushes brightly before walking over to Matthew.
I look around the room to see all eyes on us. Eric is staring daggers at Theo and he looks back to me the same daggers. I look away and back to Tobias but not before he tackles me to the ground.

"Rule, never take your eyes of your opponent"
"Good to know" I groan.

+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+

"Lunch break is over in five minutes! Come on guys we better hurry" Adam says standing from his seat. We all do the same as we make a break for the training room. Me and harry spilt from the other and arrive to see all the transfers and trainers looking at us.
"Nice of you to join us" Eric says coldly and I can't help but remember last night.

"Alex. You did good tonight"

He spoke so softly for even a minute. I wonder what has him so uptight all the time.
"Now that everyone's here, we will start with the fights. You see that chalk board? Whoever's name is beside yours is your first opponent"
I shiver at the word fights. The thought of hurting someone doesn't sit right, just because I know how it feels.

Theo vs. Harry
Shania vs. Alex
Matthew vs. Oscar
Lucas vs. Nathan
Sarah vs. Mark

My mouth hangs in horror when I realize I'm with the amity girl. I look over to Shania who stands with her skinny lanky arms hanging beside her bony figure. I swear I see a gleam of fear in her eyes.
"Theo and harry! Get on the mat time to fight" I sigh as I see harry make his way up to the mat.
Theo cracks his knuckles right in front of Harry's face.

"You will fight until someone concedes. Go!" Tobias shouts and Theo throws a fist at Harry's chest, winding him. He then grabs him by the shoulders and swings him around like a kite, dropping him to the hard mat. Harry at the point has a bloody nose and is clearly too weak to continue.

"Stop! Winner- Theo, get harry an ice pack" Tobias shouts and circles Theo's name on the board.
"Next up Shania and Alex"
I take a deep breath and walk to the mat.

"Go!" Tobias shouts and Shania comes at me with all her force trying to knock me over, she fails, causing some people to laugh. I take advantage of this moment to knock her a box in the head, she falls to the floor from the impact. I give her a kick in the gut but she is clearly too weak to continue. I look to Tobias but just as he is about to open his mouth Eric pipes up.

"What are you doing, finish her"
"I thought it was until someone concedes" I look at him with confusion.
"Just finish her stiff" I roll my eyes.
I look down to the floor where her body lay across the ground.
I give her a final kick to the head and she's out cold. I can't even look at her.
"Winner -Alex" Tobias says anger laced with his voice. I look to him and he is staring at Eric.

"Take her to the infirmary" Tobias orders and I pick her up effortlessly.
"I'll take her" I turn around to see Eric trying to take a passed out Shania from my arms.
"I've got it" I say sternly but he just shakes his head.
"You took a blow to the head; your getting a checkup too" he says back and I just roll my eyes.
He picks Shania up and walks out, me after him.

"You know I don't need a check up, that was not a 'blow' to the head. You know damn well I could have brought her to the infirmary" I realize.
"I wanted to get out of there" he says lowly.
"Oh come off it, you love watching that"
"You don't know that" he fires back and I raise a brow.
"Ok maybe I like it just a little bit, just the annoying ones" a small smirk appears on his face.
"Why did you do that?" I ask and he stops for a second to face me.
"Do what?"
"Why did you make me knock her out? when harry wasn't fit to continue you didn't make Theo knock him out."
"I wanted you to prove a point, that your not just some stiff" He says softer then usual.

We arrive at the infirmary, Eric goes up to the counter and the woman looks up from her computer.
"We need a bed over here!" She shouts to her coworker. They wheel a bed through and Eric sets her down.
"She'll be fine" the nurse reassures and Eric just looks at her.
"I don't really care but okay, come on stiff we're out of here" there he goes again, cold, evil even.

We begin our walk back to the training room but Eric makes a different turn along the way.
"Where are we going?"
"Your meant to be getting a checkup"
"Where are we going though?"
"Do you ever stop talking" he grumbles
"Not really"

We arrive at an elevator, Eric pushes the button and a few seconds later we get inside.
He hits floor 70 and we go flying up, my feet leaving the floor for a moment.
The doors open to reveal a beautiful summery sunset sky. I gasp in awe.
I look around and see that we are on the same rooftop we were on choosing day.

Eric's feet crunch on the gravel as he makes his way over to the edge. I follow him and he stands on the wall.
"Come on" He says offering me a hand up. I take his warm hand and he pulls me up. I look over the edge and then back to Eric's face which is tinted a yellow color from the sun rays.
He lets go of my hand and points down.
"Jump" He says and I look to where I know the net is.
I take a breath and throw myself from the rooftop.

My body hits the net with a spring and I don't get off. I push over to the other side. I see Eric's body fall from the sky and land beside me, his impact bouncing me on the net.
We lie here, centimeters apart staring at the sky through the gap.

"It was easier than the first time you did it eh?" Eric says breathlessly.
"Yeah it was"
"It'll be the same with the fights. I know you don't enjoy them. It'll get easier" he assures me and I look to him.
"Your like two different people" I state and he looks to me.
"What do you mean?" He scoffs.
"One minute your all oh I'm gonna kill you and then the next your like I like sunsets and helping people"
He just laughs a sick laugh and jumps from the net.
"I'm gonna forget you just said that stiff, come on let's go" I smile and take his hand as he pulls me off the net.