Chapter 18: Twin Conflict

       Mom had been staying in Spruceworth for a few days now and honestly, it was making me very nervous. I really didn't want her finding out about my drinking problem because even though I started when I was living with her, I knew she would only turn it around on my dad and blame him.

       And I really didn't want her to try to take me away from Dad when really, I was only going to get sober living here. If I lived with Mom, I wouldn't have the proper support, as sad as that sounded.

       At least Mom wasn't constantly coming around to our house to try to talk to me about more music schools. She still tried, but only if we ran into each other out in the village. So I mainly stayed in my house.

       Which was actually quite easy since Grant was still staying here so I didn't have to leave my house if I wanted to hang out with him.

       As much as I really loved having Grant stay at my house, I still wanted to help fix what was going on with his family. It wasn't fair of him to not with his own family, and to see his younger brothers, because of something as petty as Hennessy liking me too.

       Although, there might be more to this whole thing that Grant wasn't telling me. His mom and sister couldn't be that selfish, could they?

       Maybe I should ask Grant before going to talk to his mom and Hennessy just to make sure I wasn't interfering with something a lot more personal than I thought.

       While Grant and I were watching a movie, we were sitting together on the couch with me leaning into him and his arms wrapped around me. I wasn't really paying any attention to the TV. I was too busy trying to work up the nerve to ask Grant if there was more to his family's argument. I shouldn't be this nervous but I was because I was afraid it was a touchy subject for Grant and he would only get mad at me for asking him.

       And I definitely didn't like it when Grant was mad at me.

      "Ollie?" Grant suddenly asked. "Are you okay? You're not paying attention to the movie and it looks like something's bothering you."

       I sighed. I should have known Grant would notice I wasn't paying attention sooner than later. He could read me like the back of the hand. It was both a good thing and a bad thing but honestly, I mainly considered it a good thing. When I wanted to talk about something but I was too afraid to bring it up, Grant would end up doing it for me.

       "I was just wondering something," I said. "About your family."

       "You can ask whatever it is," Grant said. "I won't mind."

       I still hesitated before answering the question because even though he said he wouldn't mind, I wasn't sure how he would react to the exact question running through my mind.

       "Is there... Is there more reasons why your mom kicked you out?" I asked. "Other than you dating me? Because it seems kind of... I don't know, foolish."

       This time, it was Grant's turn to sigh. "I should have told you the whole thing."

       "So there is more to it?" I asked.

       "A bit, yeah," Grant said. "So I told you that my mom basically sees me as my dad, right?" I nodded. "Even though he wasn't, she thought he was a very selfish man and only thought about himself. So whenever I do something that hurts Hennessy, even if I don't mean to or want to hurt her, she just thinks I'm ending up more like my dad."

       "What if it was the other way around?" I asked. "What if it was Hennessy dating me and that hurt you? Would your mom call Hennessy selfish?"