5

Will was pretty.

I mean, I'm sure everyone knew he was pretty. 
He didn't have an issue with showing off his inner femininity either. He would let Eleven dress him up in pink dresses and experiment with make up if it kept her happy.

Mike found that when these things happened, he would watch his girlfriend fondly. At least he thought he was.

He began to catch himself staring at Will. When they were walking along the traintracks and talking. Or when it was summer and everyone gathered up and had a picnic under the trees. He couldnt take his eyes away from how pretty he was.

These looks didn't go unnoticed by Eleven. She of course got jealous, but wasn't sure how to communicate it. She didn't like her partner looking as someone else like that. So she would just prod him and give him a pouting look.

Mike was secretly thankful that Eleven didn't know how to talk about these things - as awful as it sounded. She could tell his parents. Or his friends. Especially Will.

Because of the lack of communication, jealousy began to build inside Eleven. She stopped learning how to do makeup with Will. She exclusively only practiced with Nancy.
Whenever they were having picnics and she spotted Mike staring, she would use her powers to blow leaves into Will's face.
She knew inside that it wasn't Will's fault that he was pretty.

She didn't know what Will had and she didn't. What made him so special? Why did Mike have a sudden loss of interest in her?

Mike didn't know the answer to any of these questions. Mike just found that whenever he was entranced by Will, he had an overwhelming urge to kiss him. He was confused. He didn't know why he had a crush on a boy. Maybe it was because of Will's feminine features. Or the fact that he was so small. Maybe if he waited a while it would go away. It had nothing to do with the fact that Will was a boy. He didn't like boys.

So he waited. And it got worse. Since Eleven stopped dressing him up, Mike was more attracted to him in masculine clothing. And he found himself checking out other boys when he was out.
This wasn't just a one time thing. Mike knew he wasn't straight.

-

Mike was out with Eleven on a date. She had reached out to hold his hand many times as they walked through the trees, but he kept pulling away, playing it off as if he was fixing his hair.

"Mike." she said at last, stopping in her tracks.

Mike stopped, turning to look at her. When he seen the face of upset she had, he looked down. He felt guilty.

"Why do you not want to hold my hand?" she asked quietly.
Mike shut his eyes tight and ran his hands over his face, before reopening them. "It's.... I don't know." 
He felt ashamed. He didn't want to break her heart.

"Does Will have nicer hands than mine?" she almost whispered. She looked shattered.

"No!" Mike said and stepped towards her. He reached out and touched her hands. "You... You have lovely hands. It's just.. I'm struggling a bit lately. With our relationship."

Eleven looked up into his eyes. "Will."

Mike looked down. He was still holding Eleven's hands in his own. "Y-Yeah."