CHAPTER 41: Spiked Mistakes

VANESSA

"You are kidding, right?", Adrian asked in disbelief.

"No. I meant it. Dad would never choose me over Nate.", I tastelessly stated.

"Please don't tell me that you have made up your mind. Have you?"

"Adrian, I really th...", I began but he snapped, "Is this about that bloody phone call with your dad? Is that where this is coming from. I should have never even asked him to do it."

"Being the CEO has been my dream since a very long time but I am still something right now, Adrian but the moment I lose to Nate, all that goes away. After having completed against Nate and losing, people back in London wouldn't believe in my authority, I'd have to quit and if I join another company, I'd have to work my way up ah-gain but I still won't get a prime position because people wouldn't be able to trust me not to leak their secrets to my father, their competitor...I can't lose...it puts me in a tough spot, wrapped in uncertainty...and uncertainty...it scares me."I sighed, shifting from one feet to the other uncomfortably.

"Vanessa, I have been putting in more effort in helping you get this position than I would ever do for my own self. I am out rightly telling you, your dad is not going to choose you. He only has eyes for Nate but he isn't the only one who gets to decide. The other board members have a say in this too and I have told you more than a hundred times that they are the ones whom we are trying to convince. And I know that you will be a great CEO.", He frowned.

I cruelly shunned away his praises, saying, "You are just saying that because you can't let Nate win. His fraudulent dealings will greatly affect your business."

"To hell with my business and to hellwith my money. You really think, that's what this is about?", He demanded. "I am supporting you because I...", He sighed,"I am doing this, Vanessa because I believe in you. I know you have it in you, what it takes to be a CEO and you are made for this. And if you stop believing that you are good enough then no matter how much effort anybody puts in, you are not going to win. So don't you dare act stupid and overthink one call. Ok?"

I nodded, still weighing his words carefully. It was a big decision and if I had to choose, I better chose right. I made it a mental note to go over this again, later.

"I'll see you tomorrow. If you remember, the fun part of this trip will begin now.", He smiled, lightening up or atleast trying to do so.

"I know. We are going for the sightseeing trip and I can barely wait.", I said, with a 400 watt smile, trying to convince him that I was fine.

"Good. Sleep well and again, don't you dare overthink this.", He warned me.

I nodded, a grin still plastered on my face and then I turned around to go as he unlocked the car but then I looked back, calling him," Wait! Didn't you say you were going to see if I chose a decent room for myself?"

"You must have chosen a good room. I trust you.", He nodded and then got inside his new car and left. I too went to the hotel with a wide smile on my face. He had no idea how much that one sentence ment to me.

■■■

19th December

I wore a pair of black jeans, an olive green top and my canvas shoes. I tied my hair into a loose fishtail braid, which to be honest took me quite a while. I even called up Sarah, not caring about the timezones. I knew, she wouldn't mind it. When I was finally done, I put on a bright red lipstick and my favourite eyeliner. Finally, picking up my bag and my sunglasses I left for Najmat hotel.