Chapter 9 - Part 2

Lacey

"What do you want for supper tonight?" Adonis asked as he walked into the living room where I was watching TV.

I had a craving for something sweet. I sat up. Yes, I knew exactly what I wanted.

"I'll make dinner," I offered standing up.

"Okay," he said. "Can I help?"

"No I've got it," I told him. He shrugged his broad shoulders before I left the room.

I searched through the cupboards looking for my ingredients I needed. We were leaving in the morning so the kitchen wasn't fully stocked but I still found the ingredients I needed.

I put the flour and the eggs together. Humming to myself I began to mix. My thoughts of my memory loss and Adonis took back seat while I cooked supper.

The thing with his fancy kitchen was searching for what I needed but eventually I had everything I needed and I started to pour the pancake mix into the frying pan. The smell of the delicious food began to fill the air. I felt so relaxed. It was one of the few times I didn't feel that emptiness that needed to be filled. In fact I felt at peace. Inhaling the sweet smell before exhaling happily.

I flipped the pancake over. A minute later I was removing it while I happily continued to hum again. I had just finished my third pancake when I heard a slight noise by the doorway. I turned to see Adonis watching me with a reserved expression. I smiled at him.

"You're making pancakes."

I nodded as I turned my attention back to pouring the next pancake into the sizzling pan.

"They smell good," he said as he came to stand beside me. He took a pancake and shoved it into his mouth.

I stilled. Something pulled at me as I watched, hypnotised as he ate the entire pancake. When he was finished his eyes caught my stare.

"What is it?" he asked with concern.

Feeling bewildered and lost I just stood there unable to put what I was experiencing into words. He took the frying pan from me and moved it off the stove.

"Talk to me," he said, his hands holding my arms.

Something pulled again inside of me. I was on the edge of something I couldn't explain. The pancakes, the way he stuffed the whole pancake in his mouth.

"Harp, say something? You're freaking me out," he pleaded with me and my eyes stayed transfixed.

I was seeing a glimpse of something, familiar. I wanted to reach out and hold onto that feeling but as I tried to place what was happening the moment ended.

Adonis shook me gently.

"Harp, what's wrong?" he asked. At the sound of his voice again my eyes snapped to his.

"I don't know how to make pancakes."

He frowned and I pulled away from him. Pressing my hand to my mouth I tried to figure out what happened. I stopped and walked over to the two remaining pancakes that were perfectly cooked on the plate beside the stove.

I picked them up and looked at them like they were a foreign object that didn't belong. I didn't know how to cook. How was it possible that I had made the batter for pancakes from scratch?

"You can't cook," Adonis repeated behind me. I turned to face him. He looked pale, like he had just seen a ghost.

Then I remembered that familiar feeling of what I had felt watching him eat a pancake. It had a deja vu feeling to it like I had experienced this before. I racked my memories. My fingers touched my temple.