Chapter 10 - Part 2

Lacey

I burrowed deeper into the bed not ready to wake up. The pillows were so soft and fluffy. Even the bedding was so luxurious. I sighed as I turned to lay on my back. Opening an eye I looked around the dark room. Not sure what time it was I picked up my phone from the beside table.

London was six hours ahead and I was still feeling out of sorts. The flight had been seven hours and when we'd arrived at the hotel I had still been tired despite sleeping for nearly the entire flight. After a shower and a change of clothes Adonis told me to take it easy before he'd left for some scheduled interviews.

It was the first glimpse into his hectic life. I had always thought it was glamorous but I was realising it was hard work and long hours. Adonis and the rest of the guys worked very hard to attain the level of success that they had.

It was five o'clock in the afternoon. I wasn't tired anymore so I got up. It hadn't been the best idea to have slept most of the day away, it would take longer to work through my jet lag. Still dressed in the clothes I travelled in I wondered out of my room into the suite I shared with Adonis. The suite was empty reminding me that I was alone.

He had told me to order whatever I wanted from room service. I found the menu in one of the drawers. My stomach rumbled as I scanned the list. Deciding on a hamburger and chips I called room service and ordered my food.

I stood by the window and looked over the beautiful city of London. It was breathtaking. I didn't know much about England except there was a royal family and the weather was always rainy.

I sat down on the sofa and started to watch some TV while I waited for my food. I had no idea how long Adonis was going to be away for. Someone knocked on the door and I got up to answer it expecting it to be my food but the sight of Trisha took me by surprise.

"Hi," she greeted and I tried to return her smile but it felt forced. I didn't feel completely comfortable with her and I had no idea why.

"Sorry to disturb you but I just need to drop off some stuff for Gray," she said as she stepped into the suite. My stomach tightened at the sound of his nickname on her lips.

"Sure," I said closing the door behind her.

She had some papers in her hand and she headed straight into his room. Something uncomfortable unrolled in the pit of my stomach and it took me a few moments to figure out what I was feeling. I was jealous. I had no right to be considering Adonis had called time on us. It still didn't stop how I felt about him or my reaction to a girl in his space. And by the looks of it Trisha was very comfortable in his space. I frowned as I waited for her to come out of his room.

It wasn't long before she walked into living room.

"How are you feeling?" she asked and I frowned.

Did she know about what had happened to me, the brain tumor and surgery? Or was she simply asking about my jet lag?

"I'm fine."

I didn't want to believe that Adonis would talk about my illness with a stranger.

"He has been very worried about you," she added, while she studied me.

He had told her about me. It made me feel betrayed in a way.

"How much did he tell you?" I asked bluntly, feeling my defences come up.

"Not a lot," she explained hastily. "A lot of it was covered in the media."

That made my stomach drop. It had been in the media?

"Anyway...let me know if you need anything," she said before she left.

As the door slammed close I sat down on the sofa. How much had been covered? There was only way to find out how much. I got my laptop and opened it up. Nerves knotted in my stomach as I waited for it to boot up. It took a few minutes to connect to the internet. I keyed my name into google and hit the search button.

It was the most unreal experience to see website after website come up with articles that covered my surgery and recovery. Feeling raw and vulnerable as I scanned the articles.

In one of the articles was a picture of Adonis leaving the hospital. It hit me hard. I had just started to realise how much I had put him through and seeing a picture of how exhausted he looked at the time there was a chance I wasn't going to make it.

As I studied the picture I looked closer. It wasn't just exhaustion I saw but something more. Unlike his usual self who was always confident and in control, he looked so lost. Like momentarily he had lost direction. I was so affected by the photo I allowed my eyes to scan every inch of his drawn face, taking in every strained line. My fingers touched the screen.

Pulling my attention away from the photo I read the article. After I finished I pushed away from the desk. I stood up, feeling a mixture of feelings that were difficult to decipher. I felt guilty for putting him through what I had and the fact that he'd only referred to me as a good friend upset me.

Logically I knew he only did it to keep me out of the limelight but something clenched in my chest.

Someone knocked on the door. It was my order. I opened the door a waiter brought my food in. I thanked him before he left closing the door behind him. My hunger before had been pushed away by the anxious knots in my stomach so I didn't eat much before I gave up.

For the next two hours all I could think about was the article about my surgery and the photo of Adonis. I tried to keep my mind busy with TV but there was no taking my mind off what I'd read. I got up and walked over to the laptop and looked over the article again.

The sound of the door opening lifted my heart and I turned to see Adonis walk into the room. He looked tired.

"That bad?" I asked as I walked toward him.

"Nothing a few hours of sleep won't solve," he said before yawning.

"Whoever thought being a rock star was easy clearly hasn't seen how hard you guys work," I told him trying to make him smile and it worked. The edge of his lips tipped upward in a dimpled smile.

"Yeah. How was your day?" he asked walked to me. His hand rubbed the back of his neck.

"Boring," I replied. "I haven't done much."

"I'm sorry," he replied. "We don't get a lot of free time on these trips."

I understood that this was work and not a holiday.

"It's okay, I was trying to catch up on my sleep. I'm sure I'll get a chance to get out and do some sightseeing tomorrow."

It was my first time overseas and I wasn't going to spend the entire trip coupes up in the hotel room.

He frowned.

"I'll organise someone to take you out tomorrow," he said.

"I can go out on my own," I replied with a shrug. I didn't want to put any more pressure on him.

"I know that," he said taking another step closer. "But I'd feel better if I know you with someone that knows the city. I don't want to spend most of my day worrying about you."

It wasn't meant as dig at me but I was feeling emotionally raw and it hurt. I didn't want to be just something else he had to worry about. It made me feel more like a burden.

"Okay," I replied trying to keep the hurt out of my voice.

"I need a shower," he said before he turned to the direction of his room.

Something caught his attention and he stopped. The laptop. Which was still open the article. I held my breath as he stepped closer and angled the screen to get a better look. I had nothing to hide but I still felt like I'd been caught with my hand in the cookie jar. He scanned the article. After a few minutes he closed the laptop. He turned to face me.