Chapter 15 - Part 1

Adonis

I didn't want to let her go for a moment. The fear that somehow something would happen to take her away from me again. And after the toll it had taken to here I couldn't couldn't bare to lose her again.

The memory of her shocked face while I'd been pouring out my heart in front of thousands of people replayed in my mind. I was just thankful it had led to this. I eased my anxiousness with the knowledge that I would have done whatever I could to show her that we were meant to be.

Her head was against my shoulder. Her chest rose and fell steadily. I closed my eyes and breathed her in. It expanded my chest, not only with air in my lungs but a heart that was complete in my love for her. She smelt sweet.

My arms tightened around her. Pressing my lips gently to her forehead I kissed her softly.

When Link and Sage had come to visit she'd already fallen asleep. I had slipped out of the room without disturbing her long enough to give them an update.

"The doctors just want to keep her overnight for observation and they will discharge her tomorrow," I had told them.

"That's great!" Sage had said, gently smacking my arm. I nodded in agreement.

"There were so many times I didn't believe that this would happen," I had said still finding it hard to let go of all the emotions of believing that.

"All that matters is that she's okay," Link had said.

It was only then I had noticed Sam hanging back slightly from the group. When I'd fixed my eyes on him he'd stepped forward. Now that she had regained her lost memories I didn't feel threatened anymore. When Lacey looked at me with the love that had taken root in her heart from the age of thirteen I knew I had no competition. There was no doubting now.

"How's she?" he had asked with genuine concern.

"She's good," I had assured him. "They just want to keep her overnight."

He'd nodded his head and relief had flooded through his features.

"She really scared me," he had murmured.

"I know." She'd scared us all. "Go get some sleep and I'll get her to call you in the morning."

"Thanks,' he'd said.

Before they left Link assured me that they would cover the for me the next day so I could spend the day with her. It was hard to concentrate on working when I just wanted be with her. I said goodbye to them, wanting to get back to Harp as quickly as possible.

Back inside the hospital room I had stood at the foot of the bed watching over the girl who held my heart in her hands. My eyes had drifted over her and taking in every fine feature. I loved her so much it was hard to breathe when I thought about something happening to her.

She murmured softly when I slid back into the hospital bed and lay her head against my shoulder. Gently so I didn't wake her up. I wish I didn't have the commitments. I wanted to be able to go somewhere where it was just the two of us. To take the time to nurture what we'd discovered again. I let out a heavy breath. But this was real life and I couldn't let down the people that depended on me.

I still had a couple of weeks before I could take some time off. With those thoughts on my mind I stayed awake for a few more hours before exhaustion took over and gave me a reprieve.

The soft touch against my lips made me stir.

"Gray," someone whispered.

I opened my eyes and took in the beautiful sight of Lacey smiling beside me.