Tryouts

Tuesday evening, Serena raced to the Quidditch Pitch before tryouts to prepare herself. She got her notebook out and went over a couple of good practice drills. Around 6:30, Slytherins began to arrive. Tryouts started promptly at 7:00. Of course Marcus Flint decided to show up early.

“Hey baby,” he said as he sat down next to Serena.

“Don’t fucking call me that,” she said as she scooted away from him.

“Don’t forget about our little deal,” he sneered. Serena rolled her eyes and stood up.

“Okay, everyone just grab a broom if you want and practice a bit. We won’t be starting until seven o’clock,” said Serena. Lots of kids began kicking off the ground and flying into the air.

Terence Higgs was the next to arrive. Serena took a deep breath. Terence was her ex-boyfriend and he played Seeker last year. In the back of her mind, she was sad that she wasn’t going to be able to give him a spot on the team.

“Hi, Serena,” he said as he approached her with a smile.

“Hello, Terence,” she said back. Marcus sniggered in the background. “Going out for Seeker?”

“Yeah,” he said with a smile. “I’m going to go practice for a few minutes.”

Serena smiled at Terence. She really wanted him to be Seeker. He was one of the few players on the team that never resorts to cheating, as well as Adrian Pucey. Speaking of cheaters…

“Oi! Carrow!” yelled the voice of Draco Malfoy. “Where’s my broom?”

“Malfoy, come here!” she demanded. She couldn’t let him gloat about already having a spot on the team. “Are they in there?” he shouted as he tried to walk past her towards the locker rooms. She grabbed his arm.

“Malfoy, we need to get a few things straight,” she spat. “Just because daddy bought your way onto the team, doesn’t mean I won’t kick your arse off. If Terence, or any other person is better than you, I will not hesitate to replace you.”

“You can’t do that!” he snapped.

“I can, and I will. So, I’d suggest you run off and use a Cleansweep…that is until you’ve actually made the team you great prat.”

Draco had nothing more to say. He glared at her as he walked off towards the school broomsticks and pushed other students out of his way in the process. Marcus was laughing. And he thinks I can’t handle boys, she thought.

“Alright! Let’s get started!” yelled Serena as she walked out into the crowd of people. This was the most people Slytherin had show up to tryout for years. “We’re going to split up into two groups! Half of you on that side, and half of you on that side,” she said pointed to the respected halves of the pitch. “We’re going to do a quick scrimmage. Work out whatever positions you’ll play amongst yourselves! If you can’t work it out, and I have to pick a position for you, then points will be deducted from your final score. You have thirty seconds! Go!”

The students broke out into two groups. Of course Flint and Malfoy went over to the same side.

“Cheaters,” mumbled Serena.

A couple of students were arguing over a position and Serena had to step in and pick for them. She noted it in her notebook.

“Alright!” she said once everyone was sorted. “When I blow the whistle, we’re going to start the game. It will last for ten minutes and I will be assessing your teamwork skills. If you can’t work with a team, you’re cut! Ready…Go!”