Chapter 24

"Five more minutes," I groaned and stuffed my face into a plush pillow.

"We've already given you ten. Now, get up!" Beth and Cora both yanked the blankets off, exposing me to the cold air.

I grumbled but relented as they nearly pushed me into a lukewarm bath. I rubbed the sleep from my eyes, still drained from the Report the other night. Gavril had gone somewhat easy on me, instead choosing to grill Derek with questions. Not that I wasn't happy he had, but national television may not have been the best place for it.

There was only enough time for a quick drying of my hair, forcing Cora to pin up half of my hair so that it wouldn't leave wet marks on the pale green day dress Beth helped me into. Though the dress had long, skin tight sleeves, the pale pink flowers that dotted the fabric reminded me of springtime. I supposed the season was approaching, as we entered March. April loomed ahead, and with that, my birthday. I laughed darkly to myself. By the time I was eighteen I could be engaged or heartbroken.

"Miss Celia asked us to remind you that after breakfast she wanted to meet with you to review your examination. She said she'd be waiting in the library once you've finished," Beth explained as Cora stuck one last pin in my hair. "Good luck!"

My heartbeat quickened as they closed the door behind me and I began the long walk by myself. In moments like these, I missed Liana more than usual. She would have made a sarcastic remark, or badmouthed Celia, anything to lighten my own worry. Instead I could only wonder what she was doing in Italy with Samuele.

Would she be having lessons with the Queen? Meals with his family? Was she even awake yet? I'd heard nothing about the Italian royals since their departure and even less about my friend. I didn't even know how long she and Sam had been seeing each other. They couldn't be engaged already, could they?

I continued ruminating over Liana's situation as I joined the other girls at the table, somehow managing to beat Eveline, who'd always been so punctual. We gave each other a courteous smile, but the both of us knew they were forced. I missed having a real friend at the palace who understood the insanity of the Selection like I did. Rowan had grown more distant and I'd obviously never been best friends with Audrey. A line had been drawn between Eveline and I, someone I'd once considered a friend.

The Royal family entered and only then did I notice that our table was considerably closer to theirs. I supposed that since only four of us remained, it would be awkward for them to watch us from afar.

Derek walked in, frowning, but managed to acknowledge each of us as he took his seat. I could hear him murmuring furiously with King Maxon before his mother shushed them and allowed everyone to eat in peace.

I smiled to myself as I tucked in. Oh, how I'd missed the palaces food. The eggs practically melted in my mouth and the juice tasted as if it had been freshly squeezed. I had to stop myself from eating more than two croissants, each smeared with strawberry jam.

I managed to tear my attention away from eating as chairs scraped the floor and Derek and his father left the room without so much as a goodbye. I chewed on my lower lip as I wondered what all the trouble was. Even Queen America shook her head as she watched them go, only to get up herself moments later.

My heartbeat quickened again as dishes were taken away and we each excused ourselves from the table. I wrung my hands as the other girls disappeared, likely retreating into the Women's room or their individual dwellings. My own path took me upstairs to the library, two guards escorting me the whole way. The palace security was a little ridiculous, but I didn't mind it when James or his friends were around. At least they were up for pleasant conversation, unlike the two older men who followed me now with only stern glances and a hand on their pistol.