Chapter 26: "Scare Tactics"

[W.D. Gaster's POV]

I walked further into the darkness that I had called my home for over a decade. I heard my black dress shoes clicking with every step I took, it was nice something was breaking the eerie silence.

The human... (y/n), had just left, she'll be waking up soon. Hopefully she'll be keeping her promise. If not, I'll find a way to make sure she regrets it. How would I do that, I'm not entirely sure. Maybe I'll summon her back to the void and fight, or maybe I'll refuse to help keep Frisk away.

I concentrated and the void was suddenly lit with the red light of my magic, this helped me feel more at ease. It was much better than just walking in complete darkness. I sighed as I conjured up my magic into a ball and sent it into the stale air. It lit the area around me and helped me relax.

But, I knew I wasn't alone. I haven't been alone in years, Frisk is always there... Watching me from the shadowy haze. It was almost like I could feel their beady eyes watching me, their quiet giggles echoed across the void when I tried to sleep and had made me slowly descend into madness.

Sometimes I wondered what sanity I had left and, how long I'd continue to have any sanity whatsoever. Seeing everyone just within my reach but not being able to interact with any of them was torture. Sometimes I had even began to appreciate that devil-child's presence.

Sure, they were a demon who hid in the shadows but being here in this place of emptiness, it was the closet to a 'friend' I could have. We can both sympathize each other, we're stuck here for all of eternity. Well, Frisk actually has a possibility of getting out, I do not. I lack any DETERMINATION, whereas they have plenty.

My broken body, much like most monsters couldn't take any amount of DETERMINATION. If I had injected myself with it back when I was the Royal Scientist, I'd be some kind of melted-down monster. Much like the amalgamates Alphys created, I'd be a sticky mess roaming around the underground, seemingly unrecognizable.

Once Sans killed Frisk, by some anomaly they ended up here in the void. That was not supposed to happen, they showed up here scared, afraid and homicidal. But, I soon showed them I had more power than they could handle. Due to the incident with the Core, my powers had been greatly amplified. I was already a very powerful monster, but now I have the powers of a god.

They figured that out very soon, Frisk could only observe the monsters in their daily lives but I could walk with them, unnoticed and untouched. I cannot interact with anything from the physical world, I pass through everything like a ghost. My presence is unknown by most, only a few can feel my company. (y/n), Sans, Asgore and Toriel all at some point have felt my ghastly presence, unbeknownst that an old friend and father is there.

I sighed as I looked up at the ball of magic I had made, its spherical shape glowed a brilliant scarlett and, electricity seemed to crackle inside of the ball of energy. It buzzed as it moved along with me as I began to walk again.

I walked until I heard the all too familiar laugh of that demon-child from the distance. I paused and looked around the area that was lit by my magic and saw nothing. But, I knew they were there, hiding just out of the light. As a young babybones, I had been afraid of the dark and as I got older, I got over that phobia, but now, that fear has returned. It is unlikely that anyone—or anything is here other than Frisk and I but, this place is so vast that I cannot guarantee that. The face of death itself could be here and I have no idea whatsoever.

It didn't take long for the child to realize I was Sans and Papyrus' father, knowing I was the dad to their killer made them loathe me. But, that doesn't phase me one bit. I dislike them just as much as every other human in existence, if not more.