Chapter XXIV: Fever

A/N: Not edited. This chapter is dedicated to vallybrown15 thank you for all your votes.
If you want to be dedicated a chapter make sure to spam some votes, leave a comment, add to a list and follow me. 🧡

Isla couldn't sleep that night that her mate left or even the day after that. She felt a dreaded feeling take over her body. Not sure what the feeling was about she pushed it off as her being worried her mate wouldn't be home in time for her heat. An alpha born females heat was worse than any other wolf and wolves were even more attracted to that kind of power.

It didn't matter that her neck was marked as the process of mating was only half completed without the intercourse. Any wolf could claim her if they mated her and bit on the other side of her neck.

She knew she wouldn't be able to fight them all off so, she was keeping her strongest she wolves with her. The first two nights without her mate she felt extremely cold before the early morning, a slight fever was beginning to set in. She opened her eyes groaning from the sweat that was being produced. It wasn't painful, but the heat that was slowly consuming her was unbearable when all she wanted was to sleep.

Before being dropped off at Xavier's office, Kelly was telling Isla about getting proper contraception if they weren't planning on having pups anytime soon. Isla thanked her for telling her this, otherwise Isla would've just assumed the average condom or morning after pill would work.

She kept herself occupied in Xavier's office the following day after the first night. Looking back to where that photo frame was, she grabbed a chair and scrapped it along the floor, an eerie noise that caused her to flinch a little and cuss as she lifted it up.

Placing the chair at the front of the shelf, she reached up and patted the shelf looking for the frame. Unlike last time, the frame was no longer there. She bit the inside of her cheek, and picked at the skin on the sides of her nails whilst she sat in the chair thinking where it could be.

She left the chair at the shelf, and began to look elsewhere. She flicked through folders and took out everything that was in the draws before having to clean up the mess she made. She huffed out and opened the fridge that was underneath the desk, and poured herself a cold glass of water. She placed the empty cold glass against her neck and relaxed into it a little. The cool touch against her neck spread throughout her body and raised goosebumps along her arms.

She placed the cup down after it had warmed up from her touched. There was one filing cabinet that she could not open and she felt that it was in there, hidden inside the dark draws.

Isla looked outside to see that the sun had already set and the moon was close to becoming full. There wasn't long left until her heat. She left the office and outside the door was Telula in her wolf form, ensuring that no males tried to barge in. Her females took turns looking after her. That night the heat picked up some more,

She showered under the cold water and in the mirror she could see the changes of her heat that sculptured her body into a child bearing form. She was not ready for pups yet, and made the mental note that she would set off to find the pack doctor tomorrow for some of that WPP; werewolf pregnancy preventative medication, that was recommended by Kelly. Normal mundane contraception did not work for she wolves in heat. Important information for any wolves who weren't ready.

That night she felt more antsy but pushed the feeling away as Kelly came bearing the gifts of a few ice packs and place them inside a thin sheet that was placed on Isla's back and her neck. Isla thanked her and waited for sleep to succumb her body as she cuddled the pillow that Xavier used and slept on his side of the bed. It wasn't until early morning did she finally fall asleep, this time she had slept a little better but she felt like Xavier's presence would've made it better.

Tired, Isla showered under the coldness of the water once more before being accompanied by Kelly after she kissed her mate goodbye. The minutes that went by felt like a blur of colours. They waited for Damien to finish with his patients before he had come out. He talked to Kelly as Isla sat there zoned out. The conversation sounding muffled. He sent a smile towards Isla before retrieving the WPP.

He listed a note of instructions for Isla to follow and instructed for Kelly to explain with her past experiences of heat as it would be constructive for Isla.

Kelly smiled warmly as Isla as she linked her arm into hers and they began to walk away.

Isla asked Kelly to leave her in Xavier's office once more would Telula would come to fetch her later on when the sun began to set.

Isla asked Kelly if she knew where any tools were which Kelly replied with the shake of her head and the shrug of her shoulders. Not long after Kelly's mate came by and dropped off some tools questioning what they would be for.

Isla just replied with "fixing something, thanks" before closing the door.

She dropped the tools by the locked file cabinet and began to sort through the tools. There was a mini crow bar in the mixture but she put it to the side as her last plan. She didn't want to damage the file cabinet.

On the side she saw the screws that were on the side and began to unscrew them. However, they were done tightly and with Isla's wolf strength she broke one of the screw drivers

She felt angry when the second screw driver snapped too. Grabbing the smaller crow bar she shoved it into the side of the draws, the wood splintering as she tore apart the fine coloured wood.

After many splinters and the sudden anger she felt towards the cabinet, she finally managed to calm down and was able to get into the cabinet.

Maybe heat has a PMS stage prior to heat, she thought to herself. Being the first heat Isla wasn't sure what to expect especially without having the time to figure out everything about it when she didn't grow up in pack life.

She would just have to learn off her own anecdotal evidence and she would look into it afterwards perhaps through Kelly to see how much she knew and has learnt. That would save her from some embarrassment.

Looking into the cabinets, Isla flicked through them all. Each containing many files some of them in different languages. Judging by the titles on the folders, these are cases of human deaths that had to be covered up to avoid exposure. Moving on to the next draw, she saw a few files, one of them reading her name.

Her eyebrow raised in curiosity. Opening the folder she found her name and underneath a picture of when she was a child. There was a few pieces of paper containing information. Not as many as the other folders but she believed it to be because of her disappearance.

Her pack history was summarised along with a family tree containing the deceased files of her parents. Written under her name displayed the word deceased which was crossed out and written was the word 'alive?'

There was a picture of her as a rogue and she was spotted on a camera footage. She thought back to when she saw security cameras but was unsure, flicking through she found a picture of a note that she wrote 'heaps of rogues on the southwest border stealing She wolves'. She wrote it with a white rock that she found and would leave marks. In the corner of the rock was her dried up blood that she used to get the pack trackers sniffing the border. She recalled her near run in with the rogues. She was only 14. She didn't realise that there was a pack looking for her.

Her heart ached that she didn't know someone was looking for her. If she had of known would she have turn to help and to be reinstated into a pack. Could many things have been prevented. Her heart pounded hard, her hearing picking up rushes of waves. Her palms becoming clammy as she struggled to hole the folder.

She heard a loud bang making her drop the folder. The rushing noises left. She looked around unsure of what the noise was. Her heart still pounding she rested her hand on her chest, rubbing at the pain she felt.

After a couple of minutes the pain soothed and she took a deep breath and went to pick up the folder.

A hand clasped around her mouth as she tried to fight the assaulter off, however the fumes she inhaled made her drowsy.

Black spots consuming her vision she felt her nails slash skin as blood fell on the ground of the perpetrator before she lost consciousness.

© 2018 Emily. Rose. All Rights Reserved