Will Not Cause Herself Grievances

Yao shi had tears in her eyes: "It's all mother's fault for causing problems for you and Zi Rui. If you weren't the granddaughter of the Yao family, then you wouldn't have suffered from that disaster."

Feng Yu Heng shook her head, "If we had no relation to the Yao family, then I fear Feng Jin Yuan would not have had you sit on a marriage litter and carried in to the manor. If that happened, then Zi Rui and I would not exist."

Hearing her directly call minister Feng by his formal name, although Yao shi did hold some resentment for that husband of hers in her heart, she still felt it was somewhat inappropriate. She advised her daughter: "No matter how bad that person may be, he is still your father."

Feng Yu Heng raised the corner of her mouth, her face showing a slight surprise. She said: "Could it be that dear mother still has feelings for him."

Yao shi actually seriously pondered this question for a while, then she shook her head, "If it's feelings, then they disappeared when we were chased from the manor. But A-Heng, you must realize, in this lifetime, women do not have any other choice. Leave home and get married, regardless of how the husband's family treats you, that is a woman's life."

"Life is your own. It has never been the case that men have the last word." Feng Yu Heng reminded Yao shi: "The Three Obediences and Four Virtues applies to both parties. If he treats you like trash, then you should not treat him as an honored guest."

Yao shi smiled bitterly and caressed Feng Yu Heng's face, "Silly child, how can there be such fairness. You think it applies to both, but others do not think the same way. Mother actually gave up hope a long time ago. Even if we were to live out the rest of our lives in that little mountain village, it would not be too bad. But it would be causing trouble for you and Zi Rui. Only then did I consider wanting to return to the capital, but I did not expect for the ninth prince..."

"The ninth prince is very good." Feng Yu Heng was reluctant to try and persuade Yao shi further, but her heart already had an idea set. In the future, she would need to find a chance to understand the matter of divorce in this era. If Yao shi wanted, then they might as well break up after we properly get back at everyone in the manor. "Dear mother, do not worry. A-Heng is happy with this marriage. I am most happy with it."

"But..." Yao shi still worried, "Ignoring the other problems, that matter of children..."

"Dear mother really cares, could it be you want us to have the Emperor make a verdict? Or could it be that the Feng family has the courage to ask Prince Yu to cancel the engagement? Since there isn't any way to change this, wouldn't it be better to look for the other sides good points? At least everything that happened today has been quite fulfilling, in my eyes."

Indeed, Feng Yu Heng was very fulfilled, quite fulfilled. As she watched the small Willow courtyard become filled with those chests, she felt even more fulfilled.

"Dear mother, look. These are all nice gifts from his Highness Prince Yu. Ignoring the other things, these are moon palace silk, commoner's brocade, heavenly gauze, forged condensation and smokey silk gauze. If you think he does not truly care for me, then would he send these things to the manor? Also..." She covered her mouth and let out a small laugh, as she told Yao shi the happenings of today with lady Zhou. Everything from the betrothal gifts to the Feng manor to her personal betrothal gifts, was told. Seeing that Yao shi's face relaxed in to a smile, she too finally calmed down.

"Those are all treasures that even the imperial concubines can not attain. The ninth prince really is sincere." Yao shi brushed a tuft of hair that had dropped down to Feng Yu Heng's forehead behind her ear. "Our A-Heng has grown up. You are your own person with your own ideas. Mother will always wish for you to do well. If he can sincerely take care of you, then the other things..." Yao shi suddenly stopped and pondered to herself a while. She got close to Feng Yu Heng's ear and whispered: "The matter of a ruined face and broken legs are easy to ignore, but the matter of having children. In the future, find a chance to send a letter to your grandfather, it might not be that there's no hope for recovery."