22. meek

I take back my previous statement. I wasn't happy.

THIS SUCKED.

I woke up with a pounding headache in the infirmary. This would've been tolerable if I was all alone BUT NO. OF COURSE, I CAN'T HAVE WHAT I WANT.

Two angry and aggressive boys- Kirishima and Tetstutetsu *cough* Kirishima 2 *cough*. Were yelling at each other disrupting the otherwise perfectly quiet room. I groaned hoisting myself up to look around.

"How are you doing dear?" A small quiet voice chimed from next to my bed. I whipped my head around. Immediately regretting the sudden movement as well as everything that got me here. I should've just yeeted out of the arena before the match even started.

How was I so blind to the pain I would cause myself?

"Young lady!" The voice rose in pitch and I refocused my eyes landing on the small form of Recovery Girl, or as she insisted I call her, Grandma Chiyo. Despite the fact that I had known her all my life I had to be careful talking to her. One wrong word and suddenly I was grounded.

She wasn't afraid of talking to Dad and Dad was too afraid of her to explain that saying stupid isn't enough to get me grounded.

Weak old man.

"Oh uh, I'm doing fine." I shook my head trying to forget my past trauma. She passed me a glass of water that I drank immediately. All that screaming had dried out my throat completely. "Thanks, Grandma Chiyo," I said starting to get up out of the bed.

"What are you doing?" She scolded as I made my way over to the door.

"I'm going to go watch the rest of the matches," I said waiting for her response. I wasn't going to suffer the same consequences as last time.

She sighed turning her attention back to the boys. "Go ahead." I smiled opening the door and rushing down the hallway.

I stepped out into the stadium the sudden shift of lighting. The crowd was muttering amongst itself as I found my way to where the rest of the class was sitting.

I turned to look at the battle. A battered Uraraka stood hunched over determination radiating from her expression. Across the arena, Bakugo was looking equally determined. He really needed to work on his expression though it looked like he was going to murder someone.

"Hey, guys!" I cheered sitting down in an empty seat next to my classmates. They continued to stare at the match entirely focused on what was happening. "Hello?" I pushed leaning down to get their attention.

"Ah oh hello Y/N," Midoriya muttered still very focused on the match. At that point, I just gave up. I could be on fire right now and they would still be absorbed in the match. I could see why.

Bakugo and Uraraka were two members of the class that stood out.

Uraraka was constantly supportive and cheerful. People flocked toward her.

Bakugo gained attention because of his bad attitude.

They were almost opposites.

Instead, I turned my attention onto the match. Bakugo was charging forward, even from this distance I could tell that he was excited his eyes were lighting up. As I watched Uraraka fight my heart pounded. Although she may have been doing worse than Bakugo she still looked determined and focused.

The raw emotion in the match was enough to get anyone excited.

Turning my attention to Bakugo I watched as he judged her moves. I watched as he fought seriously. I wondered if he would've slacked off and beat her before our match.

"Why doesn't he slow down a bit. It's obvious that he's just toying with her."

"It's so cruel."

"He made another girl pass out earlier."

Objection: I made myself pass out.

"EXCUSE ME SIR I MADE MYSELF PASS OUT." The crowd grew silent.

"Y/N please sit down." Dad droned out over the loudspeaker. I stepped up onto my chair and resumed watching the match.

"No thank you."

"Young lady." I continued to ignore him continuing to watch the match. At this point sitting down would be a crime this was a protest.

Bakugo stared up at me obviously confused by this sudden outburst. I looked down at Uraraka who was still entirely focused on the match not what was happening around her. In Bakugo's moment of distraction, she rushed forward a tidal wave of rubble spiraling down toward him. The audience watched in awe as one of them hit home grazing Bakugo's cheek.

I smiled still incapable of sitting down as that would be admitting defeat. I wasn't about to do that.

I watched as the battle played out Uraraka ultimately losing the match. She looked on the brink of tears as she walked out of the stadium.

My gaze wandered back to Bakugo who watched as she walked out.

She looked so sad. I wondered if she had misinterpreted Bakugo's emotions.

Hadn't everyone?

They didn't know him.

Maybe I was the only one who saw through his expression. Maybe I was the one who didn't understand Uraraka's feelings.

She wanted to win.

I wanted to be acknowledged.

I rushed out of the stands to find Uraraka. Finding Bakugo would have to wait I had to talk to my friend.

_________________
I HATE THIS CHAPTERRRRRRR

Sorry for the filler I had a big test and I didn't want to rush the next chapter. It's got some important stuff. On a side note I figured out how I'm going to write the rest of this.

It won't be ending anytime soon I just want to figure out the plot for this. When this does eventually finish as sad as it is I'm going to start a texting fic for Bakugo.

I have a Levi texting fic that I adore bc it's just memes and that's honestly what I'm here for.

ANYWAY THIS WAS DEPRESSING

-Ai