Chapter Thirty-Four: Trust in You

“Morning, Alice.” My mother said, greeting me as I walked into the kitchen.

I nodded, rubbing my tired eyes. “Morning.”

I took a seat in front of her as our cook Marco set a bowl of oatmeal in front of me. I licked my lips, in hunger. I wasn’t the biggest fan of oatmeal but once in a while, I would eat it. This was one of those times. “Where’s dad and Thomas?” I asked, taking a bite of my breakfast.

“Your dad is in his office and Thomas, I don’t know. I woke him up for breakfast, I know he got dressed but he didn’t come down to eat.” She said, looking up from her laptop for a brief minute.

“Where do you think he is?”

“Probably in the library, you could check there.” I nodded getting up from my chair, “Oh and Alice. Ben called he said Holly will be picking you up to take you to school.”

I grimaced when I heard Ben’s name, “Okay.” I muttered softly walking out of the breakfast room, I made my way down the hallway nodding to the guards and saying a quick good mornings.

When I reached the library I pushed the door open, walking in. I noticed Thomas sitting at the desk with his head buried in a book, he didn’t hear me come in so I softly closed the door behind me.

I slowly started to make my way towards Thomas, he still hasn’t noticed my presence. He was too engrossed in the book he was reading, “Thomas?” I called out to him.

His head snapped towards me, his eyes narrowing. He was definitely still mad at me, for what? I have no idea, but I was about to know in a minute. “What do you want?” He asked, harshly.

“You’re missing breakfast.”

“So?” He questioned, closing the book he was reading.

“So… breakfast is your favorite meal, come on. You’re missing oatmeal.”

“I hate oatmeal,” He replied, crossing his arms over his chest.

“Well it is good for your cholesterol, so let’s go.”

“No. You are not the boss of me, so I am staying. Now, just leave.” He spat at me turning around on his chair and opening his book up once more.

“Okay that’s it,” I sighed. “I don’t know what I did to get you so mad at me, but I am sorry. If I hurt you in any way it was never my intentions, you’re my brother I love you.”

“You still don’t know what you did,” Thomas asked, his eyes looking upset.

I shook my head, “No. But please can you tell me?”

“You kissed Ben!” Thomas exclaimed.

My eyes widened, “Thomas… You’re not gay are you?” I asked, kind of afraid of the answer.

He looked at me his eyes wide in fear, “What? Why in the world would you think that?”

“Why else would you have a problem with me kissing Ben?” I asked, raising my voice.

“Because!” He said, also raising his voice. “Ben is like an older brother to me. If you date, and you guys break up. He’s going to leave, and then I won’t have an older sibling around.”

“What do you mean? You have me as an older sibling.” I told him, I honestly didn’t know where Thomas was going with this.

“Alice,” He muttered. “Y-you don’t really act like my older sister.”