|Thirty One|

The hot and humid air was doing nothing for my fluctuating mood. The heat was making my skin sticky with perspiration and the jostling dirt tracks weren't helping the motion sickness that was ever increasing as Claire chatted away about useless, statistical, information as she drove.

Owen, lounging ever so casually against the window frame as he winds Clair up with his incessant banter. The window cracked slightly so he could grab the outer frame of the door and tap the roof to a tune he had spinning round and round in that big head of his.

Why Claire had to drag Owen out into the middle of the dense jungle to view an 'asset' was beyond my comprehension. Couldn't she have gotten Barry to do it? Or the knob head we all know that goes by the name of Hoskins. I'm sure he would have been more than happy to bite at the treat Clair, the woman who's anger is on par with that of a T-Rex's, would have dangled in front of his face.

"You alright back there, Princess?" Owen inclines his head towards my lethargic body as I slumped into the uncomfortable leather seats.

The large sigh I gave in return as I close my dry eyes was the only reasonable answer I could fathom.

"That's what I thought," he chuckles, "Not long and we'll be wining and dining on our fabulous, day off," he exaggerates and gives a pointed look towards Clair. The proud woman only squaring her shoulders and brushing his insult off as she pulls up beside a grand enclosure.

The towering walls of ugly grey concrete a stark contrast to the fifty shades of natural green of the trees surrounding it. Construction workers, bustling back and forth, as they drive heavy machinery and ascend the tall scaffolding poles that surround the two large, ominous, gates that withhold whatever creature they cage inside. A squirming ball of uneasiness settling deep down in the pit of my already rolling stomach.

My breath catches in my throat as Claire turns off the purring engine and opens her door. Owen, glancing behind to send a reassuring smile my way. Stress lines visible on his tanned face as he reaches round the chair to hold my clammy hand.

"I won't be long. You staying here, or coming in to see what rubbish they wanna try and ruin our day with?" his cheeky smile enticing as his hand squeezes my own.

"I wanna see the trash dinosaur," I whisper, before hanging my head and almost dragging my body out of the car and under Owens awaiting arm as he pulls me close into his side.

"Adda girl," he grins as we aimlessly follow Claire, in her inappropriate high heels and white blouse and skirt. Who decides to wear white in this type of environment? She should be wearing navy blue or grey to blend in with the colour schemes of the park; just like the rest of the employees.

"We've been pre-booking tickets for months. The park needs a new attraction every few years in order to reinvigorate the public's interest. Kind of like the space program," Claire rambles on as she begins to climb up a flight of stairs leading into the observation room.

Owen guiding my petite form up the stairs before himself as we follow her up. The heat and steep stairs causing a small wave of faintness to wash over my head. Stumbling on the steps ever so slightly before Owen's strong body is against my own and support me as he guides us up the stairs at a slower pace,

"You okay?" His hand supporting my elbow as I give a small nod and a breathless reply,

"Just the heat,"

Claire continuing with her power strides without noticing the small situation occurring behind her well sculpted ass.

"Crporate felt genetic modification would up the 'wow' factor."