Chapter 1: New Beginnings

The day has finally come. It was time for me to make one of the biggest decisions of my life, a decision that I may or may not regret until the day I die.

It is the annual Choosing Ceremony.

I stand here, in my dull, gray bedroom. My gray bed with gray sheets was shoved in the corner, blending almost perfectly with my gray walls. My wooden dresser stands at the end of the bed, holding the item that was the sole reason I came back up here. I purposely leave the sheets on my bed unmade, as one final act of rebellion before I leave this hell hole.

Walking over to the dresser, I slowly crouch to my knees and pull the bottom drawer open. Inside it is a single pair of black pants. My brother's, to be specific. He had gotten them by trading with a dauntless boy many years ago. Our father never found out, and he kept them hidden well. I was the only other one who knew.

I pull them on underneath my ankle-length gray broom skirt, and adjust my gray cardigan over my white tank top before standing back up and walking from the room I used to call mine.

I walk out of the room, shutting the door behind me on the way. I enter the kitchen, where bottles that had once held alcohol laid, strewn about. Dirty dishes are piled up in the sink from the past 3 days. Usually I would have been punished by now for not doing them, but he hasn't been home recently, so I don't bother.

I pause at the kitchen table, thinking back to the memory that was still fresh in my mind, four years ago today.

----------------------------------------

I walked out of my room, and followed the sent of burning oatmeal to the kitchen. He was already in there, nervously fixing breakfast for him and I. He paused when he saw me, and then continued over to the stove to turn off the burners.

I didn't say a word, just went to my spot at the table, and began eating the crispy oatmeal.

"I'm sorry it's burned." He said quietly, his back to me as he balanced himself on the edges of the stove. It was quiet for a moment, as I finished chewing the food I had in my mouth. I swallowed, and then put more on my spoon.

"It's fine." I replied, and put the spoon in my mouth.

He sighed, and then turned and pulled up the chair beside mine. He turned to me, completely ignoring his own food. I raised an eyebrow, but he ignored me.

He had looked sad. Even though I was young at the time, I had begun to understand what peoples looks meant. That look he gave me didn't reassure me at all. We both knew what was going to happen.

"Crystal, I-" he started, but I did a very non-abnegation thing and cut him off.

"No, it's ok. I completely support whatever choice you make, and I hope you live a happy life. Mom would want you to." I placed the spoon down, and took one of his massive hands in both of mine. "Don't worry about me, worry about yourself. I'll be fine." I smiled softly, and he returned it, before pulling me close to him, and hugging me.

After a few moments, I sighed and said in his ear, "You know the rules."

He didn't let go. Instead, he said, "Screw the rules."

----------------------------------------

That had been the last time I spoke to my brother. His Choosing Ceremony had been an hour after that, and he had chosen Dauntless, the almost complete opposite of what we were. My father hadn't been happy, and had decided to express that on me. I had to stay in bed for 2 days.

I unconsciously pull the cardigan down even more over my stomach. That was the most recent place that held the bruises that were awarded to me.

Just one more time, I walk over to the little closet in our hallway, and hit the unlock button. The door slides open, and there is our mirror. It's only allowed open for so long, and we were never supposed to look at out own appearance for more than one minute, but this time I did.