c9

content warning: recount of past trauma, car accident

————————

Monday's were a pain in the ass.

Not to mention Ki had been in non stop panic mode all weekend long.

She didn't even get to hang out with Acacia because Shori told her not to leave the house until she could stop shaking enough to drive.

Unfortunately enough for her, that didn't stop until she went to bed Sunday night.

It wasn't typical of her episodes to last this long. Usually it was only after one really bad trip down memory lane, but this time she couldn't shake the anxiety.

She couldn't shake the vision of her father.

She couldn't shake the feeling of being alone.

She knew truly that she wasn't alone, she had Shori, Andi and Acacia, but sometimes she just wanted someone that was actually... hers.

Ki was her father's only child. Her mother ran away when she was four months old. Ki grew up never knowing who her mother really was, nor ever really caring. She and her father had a dysfunctional relationship, but they kept each other alive.

When Ki was eight, her father married Shori's mom. She was a kind, small woman with an obnoxious son and a love for samurai swords. Ki looked at her as a mother figure, but never really called her mom. She always thought of her more as a crazy aunt. Regardless, Ki grew to love Shori and his intriguing mom quite quickly.

Hell, she may have shaped Ki into the person she was today.

She used to take Ki and Shori to karate, and gave her a switch blade for her thirteenth birthday—which they kept a secret as her father wasn't too keen on the idea. In every way possible, she thought of them as family.

And so it hurt when she died.

The Katashi's went out on a "date night," a blistering cold evening in December where the wind was colder than the Antarctic, but the snow wasn't falling enough to make a scene. They left with a smile as they reminded Ki to be in bed by 10... but they never came home.

————————

Eighteen year old Shori was in charge of babysitting a thirteen year old Ki, even though she persistently told him she didn't need him to watch her.

He ignored her wishes and instead they sat down and watched five hours of Shadowhunters together.

Ki pretended like it pissed her off, but in reality she had wanted to watch the show for a while now and Shori was the only one who would have ever recommended they watch it together.

They bickered all night about whether Jace or Alec was better and in the end, Ki compared Shori to Alec, which resulted in an awkward moment of silence.

Ki didn't know in that ironic moment that Shori was gay.

She also didn't know in that moment, their parents were being rushed to the hospital.

————————

Ki had fallen asleep on the couch in Shori's lap some time around midnight. It's not that she meant to, she just got really tired and couldn't be bothered to walk all the way up the stairs to her bedroom.

She could sense she was on the edge of falling into deep sleep when the sound of a knock on the door, pulled her off of that edge.

Shori shuffled out from underneath her carefully, trying his best not to wake her up, but the sound had already prompted her eyes open.