Chapter Thirty Six

'Why were you such a pissy old fox?' Naruto complained somewhat angerly to his resident, almost growling at him in his misplaced frustration.

'You know why.' Kurama responded. Naruto sighed, they both knew he wasn't mad at the fox, he was just frustrated feeling it was his own fault his mother was on her way to the hospital.

'I just can't seem to get anything right!' the blonde shouted, to which his furry friend didn't bother to reply to. He was venting more than anything else, and Kurama would let him as long as it made the blonde feel better.

He eas nearing the red Hokage building and just like last time, Naruto couldn't be bothered to use the door like a normal person when there was a wide open window inviting his entrance into the highly secured office. nd just like before the ANBU were on him in the blink of an eye, holding all manner deadly weapons to his unguarded body. He held up his hands in surrender and forced a playful smirk. "Hey guys. It's been awhile." he teased, not letting his moppy attitude from a little fun.

The ANBU didn't back down until Hiruzen Sarutobi walked in holding a cup of tea in his aged hands, looking as if he had had enough of life for the day. He was pleasently surprised at the amusing sight that greeted him.

"Hello Naruto." he greeted warmly, signaling for his gaurds to stand down. A few seemed to glare at the blonde through the masks they always wore before disappearing back into the shadows of the room.

Naruto had always found it rather ridiculous that the Kage had such a strong gaurd with them all the time, I mean if they couldn't defend themselves against an intruder they had no business wearing that cap and cloak. Even for a man as old as the Third it was little overkill - Naruto had seen him fight as a reanimation and that man was not one to cross.

"How can I help you Naruto?" the Hokage asked politely as he sat down in his chair and happily ignored all the papers he still had to go through.

"Mission report."

"Where is the rest of Team Seven?" Sarutobi wondered.

Naruto's face fell. "They are taking Kushina Uzumaki to the hospital." Hiruzen frowned, obviously curious. "Stomach pains." he clarified, the blonde patted his stomach right over the seal hoping the old man would get it with out him saying, the ANBU didn't need to know.

The Hokage nodded. "Right then, go ahead."

Instead of talking Naruto handed him a scroll with the details of how the mission played out, he didn't doubt Danzo was listening in somehow. He looked up in the rafters - or more specifically the ANBU - and tried to guess which one worked for the man. Maybe the one with the bird mask? He seemed a little stiffer than the others. Or the one who wore a dog mask who seemed more relaxed.

The blonde shugged, deciding it didn't really matter, and waited patiently as the old mans eyes scanned the neat writing, his wise eyes revealing none of his thoughts.

"I see." he finally said as he set the scroll on the paper-covered desk. "This is an unexpected outcome." he commented. For the first time since he had entered the office the village leader really studied the blonde, top to bottom. He noticed the prominent bags under the Uzumaki's bright coloured eyes and the weariness in those eyes held, he looked liked he had missed a few meals as well, his whole body sagged under it's own weight.

"Why don't you go home? Get some rest and we can go over this in further detail at another time?" Hiruzen offered. Naruto started to argue but stopped when he saw the look he was receiving that told him it wasn't really a request.

He narrowed his eyes dangerously at the order but none-the-less, "Fine." he grumbled. He bowed stiffly and exited the way he came.

|¤|Ω|¤|