The Proper Gift for Two Days

The morning before the full moon, Lily made Remus steak for breakfast and the four of them sat about in Sirius and Remus's tent from sun-up 'til after noon because Remus was too weak to get out of bed. Making Moony feel less moony was their number one priority for the entire morning. With James turning into a stag so that Sirius could decorate him with a seemingly endless supply of hats from his wand, and Lily going against Remus in a muggle-mathematics show down (which Lily inevitably won because "blimey she's good", as Remus ceded), Remus couldn't help but grin.

"I hate to say it," Sirius said, pulling out his pocket watch in the mid-afternoon, "But the sun's not going to be up forever and you can't exactly change into a cool animal or anything, so, sadly, Lilith Jumpsuit Evans, you're not invited to this evening's main event."

Lily frowned and took Remus's hand. "I'm sorry I can't stay with you."

"It's alright," Remus replied, and he patted her hand, and, in a very deadpan tone, he added, "As good as I'm sure you'd taste, I'd rather not tear you up tonight."

Lily laughed, "I'd rather you didn't either."

"But she does taste rather good," James piped up, smirking. "Because, you know, I snog Evans now."

Lily shook her head, "You're going to be bloody telling everyone in the world that, aren't you?"

"Probably." 

"I can see it now," Lily said, standing up and shaking her head, "He'll be in Diagon Alley this weekend, telling every bloody person who will -- OH, Jasper!" 

James made a face, "What about him?"

"Odaaaair's the jealous tone we all knew and love," Sirius said, smirking at Remus.

Lily rolled her eyes at Sirius, then, to James, "We'll need to stop by Fortescue's and tell him."

"Why the bloody hell do you want to tell your ex-boyfriend for?" James questioned.

"Because he might find it interesting?" Sirius ventured.

Lily smacked Sirius's arm with the parchment that she and Remus had been doing their maths on. Sirius snickered as he curled his arm away, "Do you see this, Moony? She's beating me."

"Looks rather fun, actually." Remus said, "Do it harder, Lil, I haven't the energy to do it myself."

Sirius mocked at being positively scandalized.

"No not-because-he-would-find-it-interesting," Lily said to Sirius, "Just because he was a Hufflepuff..."

"Once a puff, always a puff, sweetheart," Sirius said.

"...doesn't mean that he's a particularly good finder," Lily finished.

"Alright, but..." Sirius's wicked grin trembled, "Was he not a seeker on the Hufflepuff team?"

"Yes but --"

Sirius said, "And is his name not LITERALLY THE MOST PERFECT NAME EVER FOR THIS JOKE?"

"Yes but --"

Sirius said, "And is he not thick as a Potter stew that he never got the joke?" he smirked, as Lily glanced at James to see if he'd heard the slip of the name and her eyes flashed back to Sirius's. "You really can't yell at me, Evans, you've got a thing for the slow ones, just like I like'em furry." He nodded at Remus.

James looked confused, "What?"

Lily shook her head again, "Nothing. C'mon, Sirius is being a dog."

"Howl can you expect me not to be?" Sirius grinned.

Lily grabbed James's hand, "Be safe, Rey, alright?"