Prologue

Prologue

A shadowy figure ran through the woods, not taking much care in holding the basket that they possessed. Other than the occasional cricket or wind blowing through the trees, the night was silent. The shadowy figure with the swinging basket was the only one who dared disrupt the peace of the serene forest.

The figure approached the road, checking to make sure that there was no traffic. His orders were to leave the basket by the road so if any were to pass the basket, they would think some careless hiker left their lunch. But what was in the basket was far more valuable than a lost lunch. Not to the figure's employers, but to many others in the future.

The figure placed the basket next to the road and ran off, not bothering to look back at the left behind basket.

If the figure had stayed just an hour longer to make sure that his orders were carried out, he would've know that his mission had failed. A young couple drove by the basket, but luckily for them, they had supersonic hearing. What the figure had planned for was for the humans to ignore the basket. But as the young werewolf couple drove by, they could not ignore the loud cries of an infant.

"Babe, stop the car," the woman said. The man immediately pulled over to the side of the road.

"Stay in the car," the man yelled. The woman, obviously, didn't listen. She rushed to get out of the vehicle. The young couple walked towards the basket that had begun to move. The woman reached her hand out to open the basket.

"Wait!" the man said urgently.

The woman huffed. "What?"

"What if it's dangerous?" the man said.

The woman rolled her eyes and opened the basket. Inside was an infant no older than a year and a half.

"Well I highly doubt that a baby could be dangerous, John," the woman exclaimed. She picked the infant up out of the basket and held her close, trying to console the upset child.

"What are we going to do with her," the man asked.

The woman looked at him dumbfounded. "We're going to take her with us, duh."

"Are you sure that's a good idea. I mean, with Sarah at home and-"

The woman interrupted him. "Well we can't just leave her here, can we?"

The man sighed defeated. He knew how to pick his battles, and after just receiving the news that his wife could no longer have kids, maybe this child was a sign.

"We could take her to an orphanage? I think there's actually a pack a couple miles from here," the man tried to reason, knowing it was probably futile.

The woman held the child out to him, and he took her. "Do you smell that?" the woman prompted. The man inhaled the child's scent and nodded. "That's werewolf. I don't think that the neighboring pack is going to be much help."

The man nodded and looked at the child in his arms. She had calmed down and was looking up at him with bright blue eyes.

"Well, what are we going to call her, then?" the man gave in.

The woman looked at her husband holding the baby and knew exactly what name to give the child.

"Emily."