That Which Always Fails

It had been over three years since Feng Jin Yuan last went to Yao shi's room, yet there was not a single person who invite him in. Yao shi simply sat on a chair in the outer hall and looked at Feng Jin Yuan. She neither welcomed him nor had a warm expression, her face did not even carry a smile.

Feng Jin Yuan heaved a deep sigh. It seemed that in these three years, it was not only that second daughter's heart that had become cold, even his proper wife no longer felt anything for him.

He could not help but think of Jin Zhen and Han shi's warmth, as he began to regret coming to Tong Sheng pavilion. Especially when he was passing by the moon gate in Liu courtyard, the servant guarding it asked him many questions before allowing him through. After that, she followed behind him, as though she were watching a criminal. Yet, he still needed someone to lead the way, otherwise he really would get lost in this manor he had never set foot in.

"You... have you been well recently?" Feng Jin was at a bit of a loss for words. Nobody paid himi any heed, so he sat down then poured himself a cup of tea.

Yao shi nodded, "Many thanks for husband's concern. I am very well." She did not even want to use the two words this concubine.

"Do you normally sleep this early?" He looked outside. Although the sky was dark, the other concubines should be readily waiting for him to go over. Where was there any reasoning that had her sleep this early. Even the relatively quiet An shi was earnestly looking forward to him visiting. Unexpectedly, this once very good official wife was now very cold towards him.

"I have become accustomed to sleeping early." Yao shi replied simply to each question and did not waste any words.

"Then how about sleeping a little later tonight!" Feng Jin Yuan simply made his intentions clear, "You have been back for so many days, yet I have not come to see you. That was negligent on my part. Tonight, I will accompany you here. We have been apart for many years, and thinking about it, you should have plenty of things to say to me."

Yao shi, however, shook her head, "I do not have anything to say to husband. Husband should go back."

"Hm?" Feng Jin Yuan was startled, "Do you not understand what I mean?"

"Does husband also not understand what I am saying?" Yao shi met him face to face. Her gaze did not carry a single shred of feeling for him.

"I do not understand!" Feng Jin Yuan pretended to be a fool. He then stood up and grabbed hold of Yao shi, pulling her towards the room.

How could Yao shi match up to his strength. Being pulled along sideways, she was pulled into the room against her will. She began to feel a little conflicted inside. She had originally decided to completely separate from Feng Jin Yuan on matters such as this, but if the other side forced their request, she was still a wife to the Feng family. How could she avoid it. She could not help but become frustrated and hoped that Feng Yu Heng could quickly come and save her. But when she thought about it again, how could a daughter stop her father from entering their mother's room? Her heart sank.

"Husband." She spoke up for herself on last time, "My body is not feeling well and can not take care of husband."

Feng Jin Yuan completely ignored her. He reached out his hand to remove Yao shi's clothes, but at this moment, the door was pushed open by someone on the outside.

Just as he was about to become angry, he heard a child's voice shout inside: "Father! Is it father that came? Zi Rui really missed father!"

In the blink of an eye, his thigh was wrapped up by Zi Rui. That child had become a little chubbier and his cheeks had a little more meat on them. His face was rather round and very adorable.