Confessions and Weddings

Or, I thought everything was alright, Mabel mused, tapping her fingers against her thighs antsily. It had been three weeks since Leora returned Mabel's soul to her body, and—for the most part—things were back to normal.

Lucy, along with some others who had been wrongfully imprisoned due to 'unknown medicinal side effects,' had been released from jail, and the doctors who had been handing out medicine were currently under investigation.

And, while the doctors weren't guilty either, Mabel was just happy that Lucy was back to taking down true bad guys and interrogating possible crime lords.

Unfortunately, Lucy's interrogation skills didn't stop with the baddies, which was why Mabel sat cringing across the table from her two best friends.

"So, you just expect us to let you date some guy that we haven't even laid eyes on? Bull. Shit." Lucy was saying angrily, fingers twitching as if she wanted to shoot something.

Aleron wasn't the only one who had grown extremely protective of Mabel after her brief death, and she was struggling to split her time between her secret boyfriend and her two best friends. Eventually, Lucy and Kellan had caught on that something was fishy, which was how they'd cornered her in their favorite diner, prying into her love life over French fries and burgers.

"Well," Mabel started slowly, plucking up a fry and spinning it in her fingers anxiously, "He's not exactly outgoing, and he isn't fond of meeting new people."

Lucy and Kellan shared a skeptical glance. "That just makes the whole thing more suspicious, Mabs. We will be meeting this guy, and we will be making sure that he is an acceptable suitor." Kellan's voice was stern and brooked no room for argument.

Opening her mouth to argue and try to get out of the whole situation, Mabel's voice died in her throat when a shadow suddenly loomed over the table.

Lucy's eyes lit up at the intimidating newcomer. "Well, hello, handsome."

Brows furrowing with disgust, Aleron eyed Mabel with a look that read, This is the human you are associating yourself with? Why?

Mabel returned his stare with one of her own, one that screamed, Why the heck can they even see you? I thought you liked to stay invisible to other humans?!

Aleron snorted and replied, "I had to meet your friends, Little One." At his words, Lucy's demeanor went from oh-you're-attractive-and-I'm-single to so-you're-the-guy-I-need-to-kill.

"Mabel," she drew out, "who, exactly, is this?"

Holding back a frustrated sigh, Mabel managed a tight smile. "This is, uh, my boyfriend," she saw Aleron grimace at the word. "His name is Aleron."

Lucy glared daggers at the demon, while Kellan smile with forced politeness. "Hello, Aleron," the latter greeted. "It's so nice to meet you."

"What do you do for a living?" Lucy cut across, plucking up a French fry and pointing it at Aleron like a sword, "How long have you been dating Mabel? Did you ask her to keep the relationship secret? Are you hurting her?"

Aleron, who seemed more amused by the questioning than anything, quickly darkened with Lucy's last question. "I would never harm Mabel," he thundered, his voice reverberating throughout the diner. Mabel shot Lucy a warning look, knowing perfectly well that Aleron didn't appreciate any words that insinuated he would ever consider hurting her.

Kellan's eyes were wide, while Lucy's narrowed. "Hm," she declared finally, "First test passed. Have a seat, Aleron. What kind of name is Aleron, anyway?"