The Power of the Emperor

In truth, Feng Chen Yu did not know when that multicolored stone made it onto her person. She clearly...

"Feng family's daughter to the first wife!" Not giving her a chance to think, the Empress coldly said: "Sneaking into the Imperial palace is a serious crime, but this palace is willing to be lenient given the splendor of the gift presented by the Feng family. You and Qing Le will be punished with protracted kneeling outside of the palace."

Hearing that she would also be punished, Qing Le was so angry that she wanted to tear Chen Yu apart; however, her having brought Chen Yu into the palace had been seen by so many pairs of eyes. What could she possibly say?

But before going to kneel outside, she had to present her gift. Thus, she went forward and presented her gift: "Qing Le does not have anything as grand as Lord Feng, but this topaz carving of Guanyin is also made from the most exquisite of gemstones. Empress usually likes Buddhist pieces, so Qing Le hopes that this topaz carving of Guanyin is worthy of the Empress."

A granny went forward and received Qing Le's wooden box. Qing Le then retreated and prepared to serve her punishment of protracted kneeling with Chen Yu.

But who could have thought that the moment that granny opened the box before the Empress, the Empress would let out an odd scream then dive into the Emperor's lap.

The Emperor was also startled and looked inside the box to see its contents, angrily asking: "What is inside that thing?"

Qing Le was confused: "It is just a small piece of topaz!"

"Impudent!" The Emperor waved his sleeve and activated his internal energy. With a blast, he sent the box flying back to Qing Le.

Everyone looked on and saw that there was no topaz carved into the shape of Guanyin inside the box. Inside, there was only a dead cat. The cat was colorful and bloody, but it was not yet completely dead. Its body was still moving slightly.

The Empress feared cats the most. She feared living ones, so dead ones were even more off limits. Perhaps she would wind up hiding in bed for a few days after being given this shock.

Everyone looked towards Qing Le, and none could understand why she would present the gift of a dead cat on this day in the middle of the month.

Yet, at this time, Qing Le and Chen Yu were both baffled.

They absolutely could not have presented a dead cat to the Empress. This dead cat should have been handed over to Feng Yu Heng, but when had it been returned to their possession?

Qing Le looked sideways at Chen Yu and saw that she also had a look of surprise on her face, thus she knew asking was a waste of time.

The Empress was afraid of cats, yet she had presented a cat. Furthermore, it was a dead cat... Qing Le's face changed colors a few times, as her legs turned to jelly, and she collapsed sideways.

The Emperor was furious "Take her away!"

Lord Ding An followed up by scolding Qing Le: "The Empress told you two to go kneel outside of the palace, so why have you not gone yet!" Kneeling outside the palace was definitely better than the alternative. Only the heavens knew if the Emperor would add the words "execute them" after saying "take them away."

Seeing both Chen Yu and Qing Le be taken away by eunuchs and grannies, the Emperor snorted and no longer pursued the matter. He could choose not to give any face to Lord Ding An, but Feng Jin Yuan was a prime minister after all. In regards to the court, perhaps it would be better to be a bit lenient. If he wanted to hit a dog, he would need to seek permission from the master first. No matter how much he disliked seeing Chen Yu, he still had to give Feng Jin Yuan some face.