Let's See Who Has a Better Backing

The matriarch retreated a couple steps in fear of that white shadow. Tightly holding on to granny Zhao, she asked with a quivering voice: "What... is that thing?"

Xiang Rong was also frightened, as she trembled and grabbed Feng Yu Heng's hand.

Feng Yu Heng squinted her eyes and looked at the "thing" that floated towards them. Patting the back of Xiang Rong's hand, she turned around and told the matriarch: "Grandmother, do not be afraid. It's eldest sister."

Hearing these words, the matriarch quickly rubbed her eyes and carefully looked. And there it was! In a pure white dress with her hair falling to her shoulders, she even wore a white flower at her temple. Her face was unbearably pale, so pale it was frightening.

Xiang Rong did not understand, "Eldest sister, what are you doing?"

The matriarch was furious, as she tapped her cane on the ground: "Chen Yu! What are you doing dressing like this?"

Chen Yu leisurely stepped forward and gave a slight salute before saying: "Granddaughter is naturally going with grandmother to offer condolences to Lord Bu!"

"Who told you to dress like this?"

"Going to mourn, it is natural to wear white!" Chen Yu spoke as if it were natural, "That day, Lord Bu passed away. Chen Yu personally saw it. These days, so long as I close my eyes, I can remember that day's scene. It is a shock that is hard to endure, and I also can not sleep. Chen Yu just thinks that if I do not properly offer my condolences for Lord Bu, then perhaps... this will plague my conscience!"

With her saying it like this, the matriarch found it hard to continue blaming her.

Thinking about it, it was the case. An unmarried girl had witnessed a person die before her. What sort of scare would that be!

Originally, the matriarch was annoyed by Chen Yu, but in the blink of an eye, it became sympathy and pity. She could not help but take a couple steps forward and gently pat the back of Chen Yu's hand, "Good granddaughter. Do not be afraid. Today, we will go light a stick of incense for Lord Bu. After that, everything will be fine!" Her voice was gentle, as though she were a kind grandmother.

Feng Yu Heng was disgusted with what she saw. This matriarch was greedy for money and material goods. She never had her own proper ideas. She and Feng Jin Yuan were similar in that they both hoped that Chen Yu would excel and be able to ascend the treasured throne that they had dreamed of for many years.

Turning around, Feng Yu Heng pulled Xiang Rong and walked out of the manor. There were two carriages outside waiting. One was a normal carriage, while the other was Chen Yu's personal-use rosewood carriage.

She pulled Xiang Rong and got in a normal carriage. After that, Chen Yu and the matriarch also left the manor. They heard Chen Yu invite the matriarch: "Grandmother, come sit in granddaughter's carriage."

This was originally meant to curry favor with the matriarch, but when she heard this, she felt very put off. She was the most honored and respect female in the family. Why did such a good carriage not belong to her?

But this sin was not placed on Chen Yu's person. Instead, she internally cursed Chen shi.

Seeing the matriarch's expression turn for the worse, Chen Yu immediately understood. Thus, she supported the matriarch while saying: "This carriage was something mother gave me for my birthday. Over these years, granddaughter felt reluctant to use it. Firstly, the wood used is expensive. Secondly, Chen Yu keeps thinking of how such a great item does not suit someone as young as me. I have always been thinking of giving it to grandmother. Grandmother having a personal-use carriage is most suitable. If grandmother does not mind, please accept it. Today, Chen Yu is only able to sit with grandmother because I have been blessed by grandmother!"