Chapter Nine

"Harry, what is your father up to?"

Harry glanced up from his colouring as he sat on the serving bar in the restaurant one afternoon, a day after Valentine's Day to be exact. He had two wax pastels in hand that he had been using to create a swirling effect on the parchment paper that Renata had given to him when he heard his mother call his name. The problem was, he didn't have an answer to her question, leaving unsure of how to respond to it. He looked terribly confused, but not as confused as Renata as she tried to figure out what James was doing with the day.

She distinctly remembered him cuddling her extra tight that morning, her bare back pressed against his chest invited her to stay asleep all day and she had definitely contemplated the idea. He whispered "good morning" in her ear, told she was beautiful among other mutterings that left her face flushed with redness. She wouldn't have called it overly affectionate, but her body still felt incredibly tingly from that morning and it was well into the afternoon by that point.

Indeed she had fallen back asleep during their spooning session, unable to help herself as they reached such a level of comfort that it was nearly impossible to remain awake. Not to mention, the events of the day and night before had left her quite tired, enough that she wasn't up to her usual bouncing around in the early morning hours with Harry. It had been Valentine's Day, the day before, and while it was really a day no different than most, James had made it quite the special occasion.

He presented Renata with breakfast in bed, a meal that he and Harry had cooked together. And while it was freezing out during the month of February, James brought the family to the beach to spend the day. They had bundled Harry up to the point where the toddler had difficulty walking on his own. But they were lucky to say that they had the entire beach to themselves as they walked along the line of water, not daring to go in though. It made the hot chocolate afterwards so much more rewarding for all of them.

With their hot chocolate, the three had cosied themselves up in the hammock of the home with the fireplace roaring to keep things toasty. During which Harry had decorated two cards, one for his mother and one for his father. One Renata's card, it appeared he had tried to create an octopus holding a heart, while for his father, he had made his attempts at a stag with a heart hanging off one of the antlers.

They praised Harry for his beautiful artwork and from that moment, it seemed an artistic bug had bitten Harry as all he wanted to do in his free time since then was draw and colour. Which was great as he had something to keep himself occupied that afternoon when Renata had to bring him to the restaurant with her.

She hadn't anticipated waking up again that morning and finding herself alone in bed. In fact, she woke up to Harry poking her in the face, claiming that he was hungry. When she turned over in bed and found that James was no longer beside her, all she found was a note that claimed that he would see her later on that night. There was no further explanation, just a simple drawing of a smiling face at the end, leaving her positively perplexed.