Chapter 24

10th February 1966

The trial of George Harrison. Day 1

Kathy tutted and threw her clothes on the bed. It joined the mound already waiting. She sat down on the mound and cried in despair. Suddenly the door to her room opened.

"Are you ready Kat...." It was Rose, "Hey there. What are those tears for? Come on. Talk to me."

"Oh Rose, what do I  do? I can't face court! I'm terrified of seeing George again. I can't go!" She sobbed even more. Rose left the room and called Paul. He came bounding upstairs three at a time.

"What's wrong Rose?"

She indicated Kathy's room. "She's got herself in a state. Say's she can't face George in court. Says she won't go!"

Paul went in. Kathy was now stood by her wardrobe, looking at the clothes still hung up. She turned as Paul came in. She gave him a weary smile.

"What's the matter Kathy? And what's all this?" he gestured to the clothes mound on the bed, "You're not running away again are you?" He grinned at her.

Kathy couldn't help but smile at the comment about running away. She knew Paul was referring to the way she had left her parents home for London.

"I'm scared Paul. Scared of Court  and what they'll say about me, scared of facing George again. I don't want to go!"

"Look Kathy, you can't back out now. Legally you'd end up in big trouble but not just that, you being there could be of helpto George, that's if you still want to help him?"

Kathy nodded. "I know all that but...I've nothing to  wear! I look enormous in EVERYTHING!"
"Well I hate to say this Kathryn Marshall, but being six months pregnant with Daniel and Jacob means you really do look enormous in everything. You're supposed to and it makes you look very beautiful too! Right, I'll pick you out an outfit that I think you look lovely in, you'll put it on and then we'll go. OK?"

She laughed. "OK."

Minutes later, dressed in the red velvet dress with the white collar she had made herself, Kathy walked down the stairs.

"Kathy!"

"John? Cynthia?" she looked at Paul confused, Why are you  here?"

John came over and gave her a soft kiss on the cheek. "Well Miss Scarlett, you're looking gorgeous in that dress I must say, myself and the Mrs are here for two reasons. First, we can park on Macca's driveway cheaper than in town and cadge a lift, and second, I'm afraid the press of got wind of what's going on today. They know our Georgie's up before the court and they know it's something to  do with you. So me and Cyn are here to help Paul provide security. No ones upsetting our Miss Marshall or them babies OK?"

Kathy nodded gratefully. She was touched at how thoughtful John was being. He knew she hated allthe press fuss. They slipped out of the house and into the waiting taxi. It sped along the road until it stopped outside the court building.

"What the fuck!" Paul muttered, spotting the thousands of press and the even more millions of fans.

"John. This is gonna be dangerous. How are we supposed to get Kathy in there safely?"

John looked out. "Right Mrs Lennon, you and Kathy are going to climb out, all dignified like then walk normally up them steps to the court. No waving or posing for pictures. Just go straight in. Once you're in me and Macca here will run like shit to avoid the bastards."

Kathy looked frightened. "You'll be OK with Cyn love," said Paul hugging her, "And we'll be watching. Any sign of problems then me and John will be there like a shot."