Super!Reader imagine - Is there life on Mars?

A/N- This imagine is based on the song Life on Mars? by David Bowie. Just a little warning: this is has mentions of police brutality and family death in it. If this is likely to have a negative effect on you please do not read on; and remember that my DM's are always open if you need to chat.

You had been a child when you had lost your parents. Well, lost isn't quite the right term, you were a child when they had been taken from you, murdered for the secret they had kept for as long as you had lived, though you hadn't known it at the time.

Nothing would ever erase the fear you had felt when the door had been taken off of its hinges by men in bullet proof vests and face guards. Or the panic when your father had attempted to push you out of the room, before turning back to face the foes, leaving you huddled in the corner as your mother screamed for the men to leave you alone. There had been a sickening bang and her screaming had stopped, replaced by your own yelp as your mother's body hit the ground, blood oozing from the bullet wound in her head. Your father had turned at the sound you had made, his face falling as his eyes found you. "Go," he had yelled it as he moved closer to you, watching you dash into the kitchen and slamming the door to stop the 'bad guys' as you fled into the garden. 

You weren't sure how you had managed it, but you had found your way through all of your neighbours gardens and across town, attempting to find some shelter. But soon enough the man had caught up with you again, and as they came closer, the first set of hands landing on your arms, you had crumbled, letting out a shriek of fear. The next thing you knew the hands were gone, and so were the men, replaced by silence in the alley they had managed to corner you into.

Before then you hadn't known that you had powers, though you had soon worked out that it was the main reason you were being hunted, and that your parents must have known, somehow. 

You hadn't properly used your powers again until almost a decade later, of course it was handy to be able to lift things someone your size usually wouldn't have been able to, but there was something darker hidden under the surface that you had always avoided. You had never quite understood what it was that you had done to the men who killed your parents, and you were in no rush to find out. In fact, you hadn't used your powers in public until the day Fury had found you. You had been attempting to keep to yourself as you passed through New York, avoiding making eye contact, and keeping your hands deep in your pockets as you hurried through the streets. The movies had always painted the city as beautiful, but you were less than impressed, it was as dirty as any other city, and had an underlying smell of piss lingering throughout. 

But as you were crossing the street and yell caught your attention, and you glanced up to see a police officer pull his gun out, screeching at a young man. You winced as you saw the kid shake, holding up his hands in surrender as he dropped the few CD's to the ground, and you picked up the pace across the street to get closer to the confrontation. "Do you have a licence to sell here?" the police officer was in hysterics, repeating the words again and again as he held the gun pointing at the kid. But the boy was too scared to respond, whimpering and shaking with fear as the police officer came closer to him.

"It's in my bag," he yelped suddenly, but the police officer ignored his words, watching as he reached for his backpack on the ground. 

"Keep your hands where I can see them," he roared, and the boy flinched, doing as he was told as the police officer stalked closer to him.

You suddenly snapped, "it's in his bag," you growled at the police officer, who risked a quick glance in your direction before continuing on with prior engagement. "Hey," you spat out again, catching his attention properly, "I said it's in his bag," you added, and you watched him glare as he looked you up and down slightly.