Prologue

Prologue

Lienna

"Lienna, daughter of Moren. As you have been left with nothing from your parents and you have no relatives, you shall be placed with the baron to obey his commands and learn from him. Do you understand?"

I didn't understand. My parents were dead? I had just seen them yesterday, tucking me in to bed. Still, I nodded in agreement. The fat baron, Svendrel, looked better than any of the twisted looking slave owners around me.

Svendrel lifted me up on his shoulder, displaying me as a prize. Then, we traveled to his mansion next to the beautiful palace of Asgard. That was something I knew about. All the little girls would fawn over Prince Thor and even over Prince Loki. They lived in that grand golden castle.

Immediately I was sent to work, scrubbing the floors. It was an easy job, something that I did for fun in my old home so the young girls who worked for us could play. I scrubbed and scrubbed until I could see the palace's reflection on the floor. It was backbreaking work, but satisfying when I saw the baron steal glances at himself when nobles came over.

As I grew, I was allowed to serve in the kitchen, baking beautiful creations to the best of my ability. Sometimes I would glance out of the big kitchen window just to catch a glimpse of the princes playing and showing off to their friends. Then the big cook would smack my head with a spoon and yell at me to get back to work.

The baron, fat as he was, couldn't get enough of the little tarts I made and soon made me head pastry chef. He patted my head and called me a dedicated little orphan. I just beamed. I knew my dedication was because I would imagine baking for the princes. I was obsessed with them.

As soon as I entered my adolescence, the baron Svendrel introduced me to his son, Ander. He was a handsome little devil, enough to distract me from the princes, and I understood what was happening then just fine. Svendrel was fixing us up to be married.

Ander and I grew close, but I was always in the kitchen, or I was ordering around younger servants, and Baron Svendrel noticed how far apart Ander and I had grown. At the ripe age of sixteen, I was given the title of household hostess. That meant that I was open to as much courting from anyone as I was from Ander.

After multitudes of parties and three seperate wedding proposals, Svendrel had Ander publicly announce our engagement. People cheered and congratulated, but deep down, I didn't even know if I wanted to get married to Ander. We were friends, but never as close as we suddenly were forced into.

The wedding was to be one month after my coming of age, to allow legalities to take place. So I had one month and three days to get to know Ander.

Then everything quickly changed.