Chapter 13 Bertia (17 Years Old)[2]

"I wonder if it's better for me to get out of here earlier even if I have to do it forcibly, more or less? No, but, I also want to avoid the possibility that this sensation could influence my real self's consciousness if I were to act thoughtlessly..."

Staring at my arms gradually turning into a doll's, I pondered.

The light spirit should only be capable of fabricating a dream like this to confuse me.

Since I know that much, as long as I can securely keep a hold on my sense of self, it shouldn't be able to that great an effect on me.

That's why, the best choice in this situation really is to [wait for the light spirit to perish on its own], so I think.

But... it is so unpleasant, after all.

The moment I frowned at the scene in front of me, a gust of wind suddenly blew towards me.

When I slowly opened my eyes which I had closed in the spur of the moment, the scene before me had changed once more.

In front of Bertia who was crying because her mother just passed away due to an illness, I was wearing a sad look and spoke words of comfort while keeping a certain distance from her.

Next to her, there was the figure of Marquis Noches who was standing there without any expression, his eyes tainted with despair and pent-up anger.

It was the future that was supposed to have happened.

Over there was the future that Bertia and I changed together.

Perhaps because the Bertia in front of me was following the different path from the Bertia that I know, her personality, her speech and conduct, even her appearance—they all didn't match the ones from my memories.

Looking at her like this, even if I felt that she was [pitiful], my feelings didn't move any more than that.

However, witnessing the scene that differed hugely from my reality, I fully realized that [the Bertia in front of me and the Bertia I know didn't overlap each other anymore], and I felt something similar to frustration.

At that moment, more warmth escaped from my chest, and from my hands to my shoulders as well as my feet changed to that of a doll's.

The scene in front of me changed so rapidly that it didn't even give me any leeway to worry over [what should I do?].

Marquis Noches became ruthless to other people as if he had changed into a completely different person.

He only poured his affection towards Bertia who was his wife's memento, and Bertia gradually changed into a selfish and arrogant noble woman.

If things didn't go the way she wanted, her anger would awaken and she would destroy everything she could lay her hands on.

She would take offense at her servants' speech and conduct, and act violently.

As she snuggled up to me with her coaxing voice, forcibly pressing her plump body close, and at the same time completely keeping in check all other women who got closer to me.

Such scenes kept being projected before my eyes.

And each time, the warmth that was supposed to be inside of me was snatched away, and my body steadily changed into that of a doll's.

Eventually, the projected scene changed and the grown-up Bertia finally entered Halm Academy.

By then, my body had more or less been changed into that of a doll's.

No matter what I saw anymore, I wouldn't feel anything.

...As I was having the delusion that they won't move, I felt a cruel sense of loss, agony, and sadness.