Part 14

The two of you headed to a restaurant between the bakery and your place and sat down across from each other in a booth. "So you were saying Jimin's last owner would pull his tail?" Yoongi asked.

You nodded. "Among other things. I had said that I should punish him when I heard him refer to you as a stray and...the way he reacted..." You sighed, looking down at your lap. "He just got on all fours in front of me and said he was ready for his punishment. It broke my heart and it makes me so angry to think about how he must have been treated." Your hands curled into fists on the table top and you swallowed the lump in your throat, hot, angry tears stinging at your eyes.

Yoongi reached out and put his hands over yours, trying to get you to relax. "Y/n...tails was one, and here is lesson two. Humans have been historically unkind to hybrids. Your only real experience with hybrid/owner relationships was from seeing Hoseok and Taehyung right?"

You looked up and nodded. "Hoseok is the reason I wanted a hybrid - seeing him with Tae always made me want a friendship like that. They are so happy."

Yoongi squeezed your hands and went on. "Yes they are. And it's great to see. But I know Hoseok, and you've known him for a long time. What do we know about him? He is one of the nicest people you've ever met, right?" You nodded, thinking about everything Hoseok had done for you over the years. "Well, their relationship is...kind of the exception. Generally, people with hybrids keep them more as pets and don't think of them like a person in the household. Once humans convince themselves that hybrids aren't people...you would be shocked at how they can be treated. It doesn't surprise me at all that Jimin was abused. In fact, it would be more shocking if you told me he wasn't," he said sadly, pulling his hands back into his own lap.

You watched him for a moment, wanting to ask him something but not sure how. "So...Yoongi." he looked up at you, bracing himself for what he knew you would ask him. "Is that why you don't have an owner? Were you abused?"

"Actually," He said, sighing, "I've had it pretty good, considering. My last owner was an old lady...she mostly ignored me near the end of her life and when she died she didn't bother to leave me to anyone. Which was really just as well, who knows what the next person could have been like." He was quiet for a minute and you watched him, feeling like he wasn't quite telling the truth, but not wanting to press him. He took a deep breath and met your gaze. "If I knew that my owner would be like you...maybe I would try to find one. But the odds just aren't good, and I don't mind living on my own, I can take care of myself. Jimin...he's really lucky," he said softly, a sad smile playing at his lips.

You swallowed hard and couldn't quite speak so you reached your hand back out on the table, opening it and wiggling your fingers for him. He rolled his eyes but put his own hand over yours and wrapped his fingers around it tightly. You smiled and changed the subject. "So...what am I supposed to do to control Jimin then? Wait no." You shook your head, withdrawing your hand from his to rub your temple. "Not that, I don't want to control him I just...I want to be able to have some rules and I don't know how to make sure he follows them. Like the stray thing...the reason I blew up at him about that the other day was that we had literally had the conversation the night before and he had said he wouldn't use that word. So when he goes directly against something like that...what do I do? What can I do and still not be like his old owners?" You asked, holding your hands out questioningly.

Yoongi just shook his head. "The two of you will have to figure that out. Maybe just discuss it and agree ahead of time, you know? So he knows what you expect and he knows what his punishment will be. Then he can't resent you for going through with it when he knew it would happen."

"That's a good idea, we'll try it that way." You nodded. "I uhm, I've considered asking you to cover one of his shifts at the bakery as a potential punishment option since he hates the idea of me spending any more time with you than necessary," You said, rolling your eyes. "But I don't know if that is fair. I feel like I should be separating myself as his boss vs. his owner. What do you think?"