Ch. 21

I flick on the light switch by the door and walk into my apartment, stopping in my tracks. Everything is thrown around haphazardly and glass shards litter the floor. Lamps are smashed and my television, computer and blue-ray player are all missing. I feel Alix's hand go around my arm as he drags me backwards out of the apartment. He doesn't waste anytime, he dials the police to report the break-in.

I look through the still open door, noticing all the damage. Everything is broken, who would do this? Its so wasteful and useless. Getting over my shock I start to become angry.

I turn to see Alix ending the call, "They're sending a unit out to check the apartment and write a police report."

"Thanks." I tell him, tuning back to the carnage. "Why would anyone do this?"

"Money, is my guess. What are you missing?" He asks, concerned.

"Television, my computer and blue-ray player. At least that's what I see from here." I clarify.

"Anything important on your computer?" He asks, becoming tense.

"Nothing that's not password protected." I reply, feeling overwhelmed.

I take my phone out of my pocket, "I'm calling my parents."

"Why?" He asks, curiously.

I shrug. "I just need them." I answer. The phone on the other end rings twice.

"Hello?" Answers my dad sleepily.

"Dad, someone broke into my apartment. It's completely trashed." I say, feeling the tears fill my eyes and needing his presence, not caring that I sound like a teenager. I need my dad.

"Are you okay?" He asks, concerned.

"I'm fine. Just shook up." I answer, truthfully.

"I'm on my way. I'll call Corey on the drive over." He states, ending the call.

I hold the phone to my chest. "My dads coming." I see the smirk on his face, "What?" I ask, suspiciously.

"Didn't peg you as a daddy's girl." He teases.

I nod, unapologetically. "Oh, yeah. Big time. Mama's girl too, I'm sure she'll be riding along. Hope you're ready to be praised for all you've done for them."

"Let the worshiping begin." He replies, mischievously.

I smile as rub my eyes, tiredly. "How far is your place from here?"

"About an hour." He replies.

"An hour!" I say, in disbelief. "I'm staying at my parents house. No way will I make it another hour."

We wait for a little over 10 minutes, then I hear footsteps and see Ryker and Corey coming towards us. "You guys, okay?" Corey asks.

"We're fine." I reply, waving to the apartment. "My things, however, are not."

Corey whistles, "Jesus! Who'd you piss off, Tiny?"

I scoff. "No one. I haven't even been home. I have no idea when this could've happened or what I did to deserve it."

"When's the last time you were here?" Ryker asks, looking around the living room.

I pause thinking hard, "Over a month."

"You take the statement. I'm going to make sure the apartment it clear." Ryker tells, Corey.

Corey takes out his notebook and starts writing. "It was probably a couple of juveniles looking for some fast cash." He states, as I hear my mom and dad coming up the steps. "Did you call them before you called the cops?" Corey questions, amused.

"I didn't even call you guys, Alix did." I say, sticking my tongue out at him.

Mom comes to wrap her arms around me. "You poor thing. As soon as you get home! To have to deal with this." She says, disgusted.

I shrug, "I'll live."

"Sammy, if you want to come in we can start making a list of everything that's missing for insurance purposes." Ryker states, motioning us inside.

"Television, computer, blue-ray player, my cookie jar-oh, wait here it is." I say, sarcastically. Kicking at the shards of glass on the floor. "Nothing from the kitchen." I comment, working my way to the hallway leading to the one and only bedroom. I see my clothes thrown about and shake my head, "Nothing in here either."

"No jewelry missing?" Ryker asks.

"Nothing that's worth anything. Its all cheap stuff. Nothing expensive or sentimental." I answer, honestly.

"Honey, where are you staying tonight? You should come back with us." Mom urges.

"Thanks, Mom. Yeah, I was planning on it."

"Alix, you're more than welcome to come too." Mom offers, smiling up at him like he's a living Greek God.

"Thank you, Mrs. Rivers. That would be great." Alix replies. "As long its okay with you, John?"

Dad nods, surprised by Alix question. "Of course."

"Alright, do I need to sign something? I want to get to bed, I'm beat." I say, to Corey and Ryker.

"We'll file the report. Just don't expect anything to come of it. I'll talk to the neighbors tomorrow but if we don't have a timeline we don't have much to go on." He shrugs, apologetically.

I nod. "I understand. Thanks, guys." I say, giving them both a quick hug before we all walk to the parking lot. I follow Alix to his car and we follow my parents back to their house.

At the house I hug and kiss my parents goodnight, before I excuse myself to go to bed. I walk to my childhood bedroom with Alix following close behind.

"What is this?" He questions, as he loosens his tie.

I turn to see what he's talking about and I notice he's looking at my bed suspiciously. "That's a bed." I say, slowly. Worried that he's having a stroke.

"This small?" He asks, incredulous.

"They do come in sizes." I explain to him. "I'm confused, have you really not seen a bed this size before?" I question, amused.

He shakes his head, telling me he hasn't. "What size is this one? Infant? Or Hobbit?"

I smile and cross my arms. "For your information this is a full-size bed." I boast.

"Full size? For who?"

"For me." I say, looking lovingly at my bed. He turns and sits down on the mattress and I wait for the verdict.

"I can't believe I'm going to say this." He says, amazed. "Keep your clothes on. We're sleeping at my place."

Laughing at his overdramatic disapproval of my bed I finally get control over myself. "What? No, you'll live. Its comfortable." I tell him, climbing onto the bed. How can he have anything bad to say? "Lay down get the full body experience." I encourage. For some reason I feel the need to sell him on how awesome my childhood bed is.

"What parts of me that fit on this thing are sinking in." He complains, as he lays still against the mattress.

I scoff. "Its supposed to."

"No, this is terrible." He states, unmoved.

"So, then don't sleep here." I say, smirking.

"I don't plan to. Lets go." He orders, sitting up.

"Its late! I just want to sleep." I whine.

He grumbles and stands up, taking off the rest of his clothes. I walk to the bathroom to wash my face and brush my teeth. When I'm finished I look under the sink and pull out a new unused toothbrush and leave it on the sink.

"I left a toothbrush on the sink for you." I tell him as he brushes past me to use the bathroom.

After he brushes his teeth he climbs in behind me pulling me against him.  I snuggle against his warm body finding sleep easily.