CHAPTER 9 - visiting day

"Today is visiting day, your family's will be allowed in to see you from 9:00 am to 6pm. It's 8:30 now so head down to the pit they will be there. Don't forget your final fights are tomorrow as well as your rankings." Eric explains.
Everyone is about to leave the dorms but Tobias stops us.
"It's best not to act to attached, Faction before blood is not taken lightly around here"

We make our way through the halls and Harry is jumping with excitement.
"I can't wait to see my mom and dad and little sister. This is so exciting, right Alex?" The smile on his face is so bright that I smile a little too.
"Yeah for you maybe. My family won't be coming" I say bluntly and his smile fades. "Why not?"
"My mom died when I was young and my father is big on Faction before blood" what I said isn't a lie, it's just not entirely the truth.
We arrive at the pit and I see a see of color before me, not a usual sight at Dauntless.
I watch as initiates make there way over to their families, who welcome them with a hug. I look around and see that I'm the only initiate who's family didn't come. I'm grateful for it.

I see Harry beckoning me over to sit with him and three erudite, his mom, dad and sister.
"Mom, dad this is Alex, my friend" He says and his mother's face warms up with a small smile.
"Nice to meet you Alex" she extends her hand and Harry's dad does the same.
"So where are you from?" His dad asks.
"Abnegation" I reply and he nods.
"You don't look like an abnegation" he says and my eyebrows furrow.
"That's a good thing" he whispers and I let out a little laugh.

+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+

It's been about two hours of me sitting here with Harry, his parents and his sister.
"Hey this was a lovely chat but I think I'm going to give you guys some alone time together" I stand from my seat offering a small smile.
"It was lovely to meet you Alex" Harry's dad seems so nice, I only wish I had that privilege.
"Same to you, see you" I walk away from them and as I'm about to leave the hall something catches my eye. Eric is arguing with someone in the distance.

As I near I see that they are in grey, then I realize who it is.
"She doesn't want to see you! Get out or I'll get rid of you myself" Eric spits his words like they are on fire.
"I have a right to see my daughter so Eric if you would please just let me in. I've been lost with out her the past few days"
"Marcus get the fuck out of this compound!" Eric screams and before I know it I'm behind him. I lay a hand on his shoulder and he turns around to see me.
"Alex go back inside it's fine"
"Eric it's okay" I say and I avert my eyes to meet with the devil himself.

"What do you want?" I ask, trying with everything I have not to let my voice crack.
"I wanted to see you sweetheart! How are you doing? Is that a bruise on your cheek?" He says sweetly his hand reaching for my face. I flinch away from him.
"Don't touch me" I snap.
"Darling what has gotten into you, I just want to see you." He steps closer to me and Eric stands in front of me
"Don't come any closer to her you monster" he snarls and Marcus eyes widen in realization.
"Yeah that's right, I know what you really are. Now if you don't get out of here I will let the other leaders know too." Eric orders and Marcus starts to back away down the hallways. I sigh in relief, Tears welling in my eyes again.

Eric grabs my wrist and brings me to an empty hallway. The single tear slips down my cheek.
"Thank you" is all I manage to say my voice shaking slightly.
"I promise you I will not let him anywhere near you ever again"
"Really?" I ask, Drying my eyes.
"I swear it"
"Eric?"
"Yeah"
"Why are you being nice to me?" My question must catch him off guard as he straightens his posture.
"I don't know" he admits.
"Is it because you pity me?"
"No. If anything I think your stronger than the other initiates."
I hear heavy footsteps come around the corner and cower behind Eric, thinking it was Marcus.

"Alexa what are you doing here?" Tobias' eyes widen at me.
"Your dad popped by for a little visit, she needed to get out of there she was about to faint" Eric explains for me.
"He did?" He asks trying his best not to make a strange face.
"Yes, and for whatever reason Alex didn't want to see him so I told him off" he covers up and pretends that I had not told him anything.
"Come on Alex let's go" Tobias comes and puts a hand on my shoulder, sending Eric a glare. I decide this is not right.
"Why are you looking at him like that. He helped me out of a difficult situation. You should be thanking him" I scowl and Tobias' eyes widen.
"Thank you Eric" He says through gritted teeth.
"No problem, see you around stiff" he pats my back before walking back to the pit.

"Don't get involved with him I'm warning you now. He's bad news." Tobias looks into my eyes.
"Well didn't seem like 'bad news' when he just saved my ass. Marcus was getting to close and he sent him on his merry way"
"You didn't tell him did you?"
"No" I lie.
"Alex did you tell him?" He asks again.
"I said no"

+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+

So I sit here in the pit, across from my brother. He holds a beer in one hand but refused to give me one because he 'doesn't want to get drunk with his little sister'
Alcohol is actually legal in Dauntless from the age of 16, unlike most factions where the age is 21.

"And then what happened?" I ask getting bored. We've been sitting here talking about his life the past two years with him messing up every second word.
"Then we ran into erudite and my friend Lauren flashed everyone. They were so shocked!" Tobias slurs and I laugh lightly.
It's great to see him in such good spirit. He's so laid back and happy.

"visiting day is over, families from other factions please exit the building. Thanks for coming" Max's voice booms on the speaker. All around us I see families crying and hugging there children tightly, not wanting to let go. The initiates however are putting on a hard face, pretending like they aren't dying inside.

Once they have all left everyone makes there way to the dining hall. I make sure Tobias is seated with his friends safely before looking around and for mine. I see them in the far corner as they wave at me.
I head over to them and slot in between Adam and harry.
"Hey Alex!" Adam slurs putting a hand on my back.
"Oh my god not you too! Why did you let him drink?" I complain to Jack, Danny and Jane.
"Well we couldn't exactly stop him. His mothers on fence duty and his dads on a training day so he went off and got pissed with some full members" Jane laughs and I just put my head in my hands.

"On the subject of full members, I saw you leave the pit today with Eric, what's going on there?" Harry nudges me and winks. Jane shrieks.
"Oooh what happened tell me" She sounds like a news reporter.
"Nothing happened. We were just walking the same way." I lie I did not feel like explaining how he had to chase away my abusive father.
"Yeah right! Just going the same way" Danny scoffs and I look to him to see a smile plastered on his face.
"You'd want to be careful Alex, don't need any pregnant initiates" jack says playfully and I go bright red.
"You guys are disgusting my god would you look at the time I have training goodbye" I say in one breath standing up from my seat.

I head over to the table Eric is sitting at with another leader; Carlyle I think his name was.
"What do you want stiff?" Carlyle asks and my head shoots to look at him.
"My names Alex actually. Eric we have training remember?" I turn back to Eric to see a confused look plastered across his face.
"You have a day off, that means a day off training too"
"I need all the training I can get" I argue and I see Carlyle snigger.
"Not from what I heard" he says smartly and I turn to him once more.
"What did you hear?" I raise an eyebrow.
"Well Eric said your quick and strong and"
"Shut it Carlyle" Eric spits and I can't help but smile.
"Continue" I beckon.
"And hot"

My smile turns into a smirk as I turn to a bright pink Eric.
"Oh is that so?"
"Get to the training room initiate" he says huffing and he points to Carlyle.
"I will kill you"