36- Horsewashing Date, Empress

At the Phoenix palace, the empress is standing in front of her mirror, checking herself. She wonders what does the emperor want to do with her. Maybe it's about the Lian Kingdom's proposal. But today the emperor acts a little weird. Is it because that day where he saw her and Lian Tian?

"Don't worry, you don't have anything to hide from him." The empress makes up her mind. Just stay professional.

"Her majesty, do you want this servant to prepare your hot bath?" Mumu bring a fresh rose petals that will go together with the bath.

"No need. I have a meeting with the emperor."

"O-oh okay." Mumu feels afraid on behold of the empress, she just prays all the best. That the emperor won't be angry so much. Considering the empress's position and impact, the emperor won't expel her just because.. well, maybe. It's a capital offense after all.

"Prepare my robe, I'm going to the dragon palace."

"Zhi."

_______

"Bai Lu, have you got the robe that I asked for?"

"Zhi." Bai Lu hands him the 'normal and humble' robe.

"Nice, I shall go to her place now." The emperor says unsure.

"Your majesty, this servant will have to go."

The emperor wants to stop him, but of course he can't. It's his own date, he needs to decide things by himself.

He looks to the mirror one last time before getting ready to go.

"Okay, take a deep breath and just act normal." He tolds himself.

*Knock knock

"Oh, what is it now?" The emperor feels annoyed.

"Your majesty, May this lowly servant enters?" An eunuch, which is not Bai Lu knocks.

"Yes."

"Your majesty, the empress is waiting in your study."

"Eh? Why is the empress here?" Didn't he says that he will go to her palace?

The emperor walks quickly to the study to find the empress is sitting on her normal seat like they want to discuss something important.

"Your majesty?" The empress rises and greets him.

Oh no! The empress has the wrong idea. He is trying to ask her out!

"What are you doing here?" The emperor doesn't want to be rude but he is too shocked to control his words.

"This.. this empress is.." the empress looks at the emperor's outfit from top to toe. Why is he wearing that cloth?

"Actually, empress why don't we go out right now?"

"Hm. Where do you mean your majesty."

The empress is surely doesn't get the point, but he won't give up.

"Just.. follow me."

-
They are at the royal barn where The emperor's  horse is. The empress who is caught off guard frowns, why are they here?

Her pink robe is stained with the dark mud. She exhales, she should have wear something more convenient.

"Your majesty, should this empress take her own horse?"

"Sure."

"Wait! The man over there!" A voice of the barn guard stops the empress. The guard runs to their place and stare at the emperor.

"Who are you, and what are you doing here?!" That guy says harshly, accusing the emperor.

"..."

"..." the empress could believe what just happened. That man will be beheaded alongside with all his family members.

But when she sees the emperor's clothing, she can't blame the guard. The royal horse is treasured and protected, of course if an outsider want to steal it, the guard will prevent it from happening. Well maybe this is just the guard's bad day.

Because the emperor could not show his jade, the empress shows her. At the end they managed to get out of that barn.

Even though the empress doesn't say anything, actually she is puzzled. Why is the emperor wearing that clothes and what are they doing outside the forbidden city riding a horse.

She just follow him silently.

The emperor finally stopped his horse next to the river and get off.

"Let's wash our horses." He says that in monotone.

Wait, what?

But the emperor is not kidding, he brings the horse into the river. The empress wore too much cloth that it is hard to even get off. Is this a punishment because of what happened earlier?

No, it's a date.

Thank you for reading! This is the date from empress's POV, next week we'll see the emperor's.

Also, I started to learn how to play koto. A Japanese version of zither instrument..

Anyway have a nice day!