sixteen

Caden's P.O.V.

"What did I do wrong?" Simon had tapped my shoulder.

"Why are you here? You should know." I tried to walk off, but Simon out his hand on my chest.

Electricity and heat flowed through my veins from his touch.

"Can we at least talk?" His face started to turn a little red, like he was about to cry, but he took a deep breath, "Please?"

I pulled my hand through my hair. "Fine," I turned to the girl I hardly knew, and who's hand I was holding, "I'll be back in a few."

"Whatever." She walked off with her friends.

"Caden. What is going on with you?" I turned back to face him.

"Where do I start Simon? My mother has cancer. I'm gay. I'm probably in love with you, and you don't seem to care!"

"What are you talking about? Of course I care! And I didn't know you felt that way about me." He looked down to his shoes. I could tell he was blushing.

"Then why were you with another guy?" Simon was still disoriented from my confession.

"What? Who? When?" He seriously doesn't think anything of it?

"I saw you! At the park with that guy! You have each other's numbers! I can't believe you!" I felt anger rising through my body.

"Oh, Caden. That's not it at all. No. I'm not cheating on you. That was my friend, Evan. He...he was..."

"He was what?!"

"He was giving me advice on what to do about us since- since I like you and to afraid to say it!" His words came out in a jumble that I could barely understand.

"But I thought that- but you and him- why so late- and I just-"

Simon silenced me.

He had pulled himself up onto his tiptoes and pressed his lips to mine. I heard a few gasps from behind me,but I didn't care. I hugged Simon closer. That one girl I was with, Sarah I think, had walked back towards where we were standing. She gasped and dropped her Starbucks on the ground. One of her friends had started cleaning it up while Sarah strutted towards. Simon and I separated, but I kept my hand on the small of his back.

"What, do you think you are doing with my boyfriend?" She poked Simon in the chest.

"I- I, but we-"

"No!" She roared, "I will not stand for this! No fag is stealing my guy." She grabbed my arm and started walking away.

"Sarah. Stop." She looked back at me, furious.

"What? You can't seriously be one of them."

"I love him. Now let me go."

"Ugh!" She screeched as she let go, ripping some of my skin with her nails, and walked over to Simon again. I didn't hear what she whispered in his ear, but I knew it wasn't good.

He was as white as a sheet.