(Fifty Four: Grim Defeat)

Even from behind him, Alex could tell that Sirius Black was fighting off a smile.

Which would have been great, if she didn't need to make it look like she was leading him to his death. 

Thankfully, New was on hand to help with this situation, "C'mon, Dog Boy, even you can't mess up walking down a corridor."

It was like the temperature around him dropped five degrees instantly, "You can piss off."

"That's better." New hissed, "Now try and keep that attitude up." 

The metal door of Sirius Black's cell creaked open and she shoved him out. The three remaining guards eyed them suspiciously, but made no attempt to stop the pair as they moved towards the lift. Alex kept one hand on the ties that bound Sirius' wrists together, and another pointed the gun at the back of his skull. The safety latch was securely on. As they took the first few marching steps down the corridor, Sirius subtly entwined his fingers with hers where they held the rope.

They were almost there, almost home free. Almost safe and sound and curled up on Remus Lupin's sofa with a mug of hot chocolate while they figured this whole thing out. Back to simple, and warm. Back to a place where they could figure out who they were without the war.

And then she heard it.

"Please! Mummy! Dada! Please!"

It was the cell next to Sirius'. A small voice, reedy and high, was clawing it's way through the metal hatch. 

Alex sighed through her nose. They had been so close. 

"Who's in there?" Alex demanded imperiously, pulling Sirius to a halt.

The nearest guard shrugged, "Some girl. We don't ask questions."

Of course they didn't.

It didn't take Alex long to formulate a response, "I'll take her too."

"Will you, now?" The guard shot back, "What do you want with her?"

Alex raised her eyebrows at him, "I'm sorry, was that a question?"

He stared her down, but was met with nothing but steel in her eyes. He shifted his gaze first, looking down, "No, ma'am."

"That's what I thought." Alex shoved Sirius towards the man, "Look after him. And I don't want an unusually over-gelled hair out of place when I get back, understand?"

Alex didn't wait for an answer. She opened the metal door and stepped inside.

A young girl- maybe four- crouched in the corner of the room. She wore an Alice in Wonderland style dress with black jeans in a way that clashed horrifically. Her hair was bright pink. She had devil horns.

As Alex watched, a slit tongue flashed out of her mouth.

"Get back!" The kid ordered petulantly in that same breathy voice.

"Hello," Alex tried to find the energy inside herself to smile, "I'm Alex."

The girl hissed, "I'm a monster! Get back! You have to run away from the monster!"

"So you're a monster." Alex advanced carefully towards her, "That's okay. That's fine. I've always liked stories about monsters. You know, ghosts and vampires and werewolves and serial killers."

The girl scrunched up her face, "Why?"

"Well, I dunno. I never really thought about it." Alex furrowed her eyebrows in concentration, "I guess because, in a few stories- not many, but some- the monster gets a happy ending. They turn things around. And it makes me think, if they can be forgiven for what they've done, and what they are, then maybe I can too."